Evinrude 48 Special Propshaft seal.

jerrygottago

Recruit
Hi All
Once again I'm looking for advice and or help with maint. on my 48 Special. This time it is the propshaft seal. Ok once in a while I'll look at the foot of the motor and will see a small line of oil at the very bottom. Ok I've removed the prop and taken what fishing line was in there out but still see oil once in awhile I might not see it for a month but it still worries me. I don't want to be on the water and the seal go out. Ok now here is my problem Is there a tool made to remove this seal or do I have to do like some people have said to do which is just chrush it out. That Idea I don't like. If there is a tool someone please advise or give me an Idea on how to make one. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all or as we say In Fl Ya'll:confused:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 48 Special Propshaft seal.

drain your lower unit oil, a milky or steaked appearance indicates water intrusion.

if there's no water in the lube, then what you're seeing is unburned engine oil dripping from the exhaust. normal.

propshaft seal is a fairly challenging DIY project, you wouldn't want to attempt it without a service manual. Don't think it requires any special tools but you'd need a gear puller for the bearing carrier.