Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Every time I tilt my 1986 motor, which is not that often unless I beach it, I end with water in my 2 bottom cylinders and the engine won't start because it being under a hydraulic lock. I have to remove my plugs, turn the engine to flush out the water and then it starts. Any idea of what part of the cooling system (gasket) may be failing for this to happen? Otherwise the motor runs pretty good but for how long unless I find this problem. Thanks anyone.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp

I would change both Head gaskets and the exhaust cover gaskets.
Don't forget to re-torque them after your first warm up.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks a lot, I'll consider that.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree also check for cracked block. check your compression before and after gaskets.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll test all cylinders and record for compression prior to changing gaskets. thanks

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would change both Head gaskets and the exhaust cover gaskets.
Don't forget to re-torque them after your first warm up.

I would think that there would be one head gasket per head, how many for the exhaust cover gasket do you think? Could there more than one?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The internals of the engine don't like water, so you are correct to want to resolve this issue. There is an inner and outer exhaust cover gasket. The inner is a pretty sophisticated one. Replacing the exhaust cover gaskets on a bubble back is unusual. Technically, the powerhead should be removed when the exhaust cover is removed. The flat bottom of the exhaust cover must be exactly parallel to the flat bottom of the block or you can get an exhaust leak around the rubber oring. Not easy to do without removing the powerhead to insure the alignment is correct. The bottom exhaust seal is an oring which must be replaced also. Check the inner exhaust cover for porosity. These old castings can leak water into the exhaust chest, so do a water test on the casting before reassembly. I agree on the retorque.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the information, much appreciated and noted.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tested the compression and I got a range of 85-95 with the exception of the two bottom cylinders being at 130 (both had signs of water inside). A mechanic friend of mine told me that I should have about 105-110 compression on the "normal" cylinders. Should I consider changing the rings, on all 6 of course.

Thanks for the feedback.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You are getting pretty normal compression readings for this engine considering the heads that are on it. The earlier 2.6 engines with the high compression 235 big bore heads would run in the 110 range.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are getting pretty normal compression readings for this engine considering the heads that are on it. The earlier 2.6 engines with the high compression 235 big bore heads would run in the 110 range.

Received my Seloc Engine manual. Waiting for end of season to start pulling the engine apart, which is only a few weeks away now in Canada, (northern Canada anyway).

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bottom seals as well. If you have water in the engine pull it now, don't wait. Water will destroy the internals. If you try to run with water it will wipe the cylinders, you will lose the pistons, cylinders and if bad enough pit and rust the rods and cranks.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Around 1992, water was leaking through the faceplate of the exhaust cover. I brought it to a mechanic and he told me I'd have to get the face machined and I did. It doesn't leak anymore.

My question is this: Is it possible that if the exhaust cover wasn't re-torqued after it was re-installed, would this cause water to get into the cylinders? I haven't checked the bolts yet but I will in the next two weeks. Should I consider this as a potential maybe?

If this could be an easy fix, I would be very happy.

Just to re-cap my initial problem: When I beach my boat and need to tilt the foot of the water, this is when my motor gets hydraulic torque and won't turn over. I have to pull the plugs and turn it over to remove the water. Otherwise, the motor starts great even after sitting for weeks.

Thanks everyone for your patience. This is a great site and I've told a lot of people about it.

SM

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this problem a new one or has it been doing this for a while? If its a new problem, I doubt the fix in 1992 is to blame. Either way, a retorque would have little chance at solving you problem.

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more thing. I don't think replacing the exhaust cover gasket on your motor is a hard task. Does it look like the powerhead below? The next picturt shows the powerhead gasket kit. I'm pretty sure the lower center gasket and the lower left gasket are the only ones you should need. Since you have had this problem before, I'd recomend using a high temp gasket dressing to help stop any future leaks.

scan0012.jpg

434381.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Water leaks into the exhaust chest from the exhaust gaskets is not uncommon on the bubble back engines. Probably as common than bad head gaskets. It is always a good idea to retorque the exhaust cover after first rebuild and going through the first heat/cool cycle-same as retorquing heads and powerhead to adapter bolts at the same time. (It is impossible to retorque the inner center ones that are under the outer cover.) My guess is that you have been getting water in the exhaust for some time, but only noticed it when you tilted the engine and water migrated into the bottom cyl. Check the exhaust covers for flatness before reassembly. If you are pulling it apart, re-ringing all 6 pistons and honing the cyls will extend the life of the engine, perhaps even improve the compression somewhat. You should be in good shape for next boating season!

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water leaks into the exhaust chest from the exhaust gaskets is not uncommon on the bubble back engines. Probably as common than bad head gaskets. It is always a good idea to retorque the exhaust cover after first rebuild and going through the first heat/cool cycle-same as retorquing heads and powerhead to adapter bolts at the same time. (It is impossible to retorque the inner center ones that are under the outer cover.) My guess is that you have been getting water in the exhaust for some time, but only noticed it when you tilted the engine and water migrated into the bottom cyl. Check the exhaust covers for flatness before reassembly. If you are pulling it apart, re-ringing all 6 pistons and honing the cyls will extend the life of the engine, perhaps even improve the compression somewhat. You should be in good shape for next boating season!

Just pulled the passenger side head and the gasket has leaked, there's even a little ice on top of the piston (northern Canada eh?) and on the gasket itself. Will pull other side off now. Will post pics if I'm allowed/able.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Attached are 2 pics. The left one shows the head with the gasket still attached. Notice holes in gasket and ice spots, (frozen garage). This would put water inside the cylinder right?

The right one shows something like a small rubber hose, it was there when I took off the head. I didn't look close enough yet to see how long it is. Is THAT suppose to be there? I don't know how it's been there, the motor is a 1986 and I've had it since 1997, first time the head's been off since I've had it. I don't think there should be any hose between the cylinder and the powerblock. But then again, I'm no mechanic.

Attachments

• DSCF0968.JPG
    DSCF0968.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0970.JPG
    DSCF0970.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more thing. I don't think replacing the exhaust cover gasket on your motor is a hard task. Does it look like the powerhead below? The next picturt shows the powerhead gasket kit. I'm pretty sure the lower center gasket and the lower left gasket are the only ones you should need. Since you have had this problem before, I'd recomend using a high temp gasket dressing to help stop any future leaks.

scan0012.jpg

434381.jpg

Here's a pic of my bubble back exhaust cover.
The gasket kit looks exactly like the kit I searched for.

"I don't think replacing the exhaust cover gasket on your motor is a hard task."
I can't pull out the two bottom bolts from the exhaust cover, they're too long and butt up against the back of the engine outside casing.

Attachments

• DSCF0956.JPG
    DSCF0956.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 1

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You should have 6 water passage deflectors [#322411] which are pieces of rubber hose. It is absolutely necessary that they be correctly placed and in good working order.

Status
Not open for further replies.