Needle valve adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 Johnson 150 mod J150SLEUC I am cleaning the carbs and found the needle valves to be 9 turns backed out . I was cleaning carbs because engine was hard to idle and start and cut off when engage gear, but I finding they were not that dirty. how many rounds should back needle valve out to start with. Ran good on top end

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Needle valve adjustment

The initial setting for your motor is 4 360 degree turns out from gently seated.

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice

Do you set it at 1 1/2 turns and leave it or is it other adjustments

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Nine turns out would make the fuel/air mix quite rich with fuel.

You should set all of the needles at exactly 4 [edit] 360 degree turns and adjust from there if needed.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure your turns are a full 360 degrees. A mistake I would make is consider one turn equal to a turn of of a screwdriver which is usually just a half a turn (180 degrees). If your needle valve was originally at 9 screwdriver turns that would equate to 4.5 full turns (or about what it should be). It helps me to make adjustments when I use a clock and equate it to turns. 1/4 turn is moving the minute hand to 3; 1/2 turn is moving the minute hand to 6; 1 full turn is turning the minute had to back to 12.

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice

Hello thanks but I took a marker and marked the top of screw before starting, turned all the way in compressing spring until snug then backed it out. I will finish cleaning the carbs then back screw out 4 turns from snug

Mistophong

Recruit
I have 1998 johnson outboard 115hp model j115pleem 4 cylinder . My idle i out adjustment , can some one help me with the needle valve . How many turn from begin when the screw is all the way in snugly . Thank you

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have 1998 johnson outboard 115hp model j115pleem 4 cylinder . My idle i out adjustment , can some one help me with the needle valve . How many turn from begin when the screw is all the way in snugly . Thank you

If you want help, it's best to stat a new thread. This one is over 6 years old and very inactive. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.