calculating the age of my johnson 9.9

andrewporter

Recruit
the serial number is c8008719 and the model # 10R78M would this be a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine and what year!?? excuse my ignorance! I need a new fuel pump and carb kit so need to know the year to calculate what kits to buy and pump

iwombat

Captain
Re: calculating the age of my johnson 9.9

1978 - 2 stroke. 50:1 fuel to oil.

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

sorry for high jacking this thread, but I just got a used 9.9 Johnson, and the serial # and model sticker is missing, But it looks realatively newish, but mine has a sticker on it that says the mix ratio is 100:1, could you poosibly guesstimate on it's age based on the mix ratio, since the above guys is a 50:1 and a 1978 ?

Rick.

Captain

Ignore the sticker. They changed their mind about that and it is now 50/1. Your motor is from the eighty's but not sure when. There could be a little Tag (looks like a small frost plug) on top of the engine that has the model number stamped on it. Rick.

iwombat

Captain

'87 give or take a couple. And yeah, lose the sticker.

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your help iwombat and rick ! BTW, I found someone who'll do a tuneup for $40 , is there anything I should keep in mind to ask the guy ?

Thanks in advance !

Rick.

Captain

What is he doing for 40 dollars? I would imagine not much. Our nearest OMC shop is 125.00/hr. with a one hour minimum. Rick.

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

What is he doing for 40 dollars? I would imagine not much. Our nearest OMC shop is 125.00/hr. with a one hour minimum. Rick.

I don't know what he's doing.so I can start there in my questions to him, he said he'd go through it and make sure it's running well, but didn't say much more than that.

I'll find out and report back

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

well it turns out that guy who said $40 for a tune up , was a liar and after checking several shops who one said they'd do 4 hours of diagnostics on it for $100 and hour , to then decide if it was worth it ( I told him, I don't want it rebuilt , just dialed in ) another "mechanic" who said $125 / hour with a 2 hour minimum......

I bought a new gas tank and new fuel line, filled a trash can with water , slipped it in , and after 3 pulls it started and is running great !!! amazing after not being run for over 12 years, that it fired right up, water is coming out the pee hole, it shifts into forward and reverse and idles smoothly !!!

Like my other toys, cars, rock crawler, dirtbikes......I'll just work on the outboard like those.....it's just that I didn't know a thing about outboards and thought I'd get it checked out first. I suppose I was thinking about it too much, after all it's just a small gas motor , thats about as easy to work on as my honda XR 500 !

Anyway, now , hopefully this week I'll try it out on my ancient riveted tinny !

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

I took the boat and motor out today at Lake Del Valle, near Livermore, Ca. The motor fired right up and for a 9.9 hp .......it sure seems to scoot that old valco ! I had another boat out there run next to me so I could see how fast it got up to, and it hit 31 mph , not too bad for an old motor and I guess a boat that doesn't weigh very much, maybe 75 lbs +/-.

Their are just a few small things I'll dial in on the boat, but it's pretty much set !!!

Not too bad for about $300 into the whole thing, boat, motor, trailer, registration for trailer and boat new gas tank, etc.

I'm Happy ! :)

iwombat

Captain

Do yourself a favor and put in a new impeller. After 12 years of sitting, it's time for a new one.

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

Do yourself a favor and put in a new impeller. After 12 years of sitting, it's time for a new one.

How can the impeller go bad by sitting ? , and it was only run 6 times , now 7 since brand new !

iwombat

Captain

The impellers are rubber and dry out when they sit. Sitting unused and dry is probably worse for them than being run occasionally. IMHO you're flirting with having a disintegrated impeller.

Rick.

Captain

I totally agree with iwombat. You've got a fantastic deal on this outfit. A ruined motor is the last thing you need. Replace the impeller. Best deal I've heard of in o long time. Congratulations. Rick.

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

The impellers are rubber and dry out when they sit. Sitting unused and dry is probably worse for them than being run occasionally. IMHO you're flirting with having a disintegrated impeller.

ok, where can I get one, especially not knowing it's age , or are all 9.9 johnson impellers the same ? How hard of a swap out is it ? do I need a manual or is it pretty straight forward swapping one out ? I assume I'd be pulling the prop and dropping the outer lower housing to get to it, and while I'm there , isn't there some lower unit grease , etc. I should replace or am I just "Casting" in the dark ? ;)

Thanks for your help !

Rick.

Captain

Ignore the sticker. They changed their mind about that and it is now 50/1. Your motor is from the eighty's but not sure when. There could be a little Tag (looks like a small frost plug) on top of the engine that has the model number stamped on it. Rick.

Did you ever look for this and find it? Rick.

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

Did you ever look for this and find it? Rick.

the numbers off of the frost plug are :

J 15R CUD

and under that is :

E 6228360

I still don't know the year , though based off the numbers ...
isn't there a place somewhere on this site that has the breakdown of what the numbers mean in model and serial numbers ?

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice

That's a 1987.

How can you tell based on the numbers ......I've looked in the model number guide

http://web.archive.org/web/20020221010729/www.evinrude.com/docktalk/modref/jomodyr/JHP15.html

But couldn't find it......In fact all of the 9.9's didn't have a model number even close to the 15R CUD , so I looked in the 15 hp model numbers and came close. So is this one with a 9.9 engine cover , really a 15 hp ? I know that 9.9's and 15's are more or less the same except for a bigger carb for the 15, right ? It also states on the back of the cover " Electric" , whats that refer too ?

Thanks for all your answers and help , iwombat !!!

iwombat

Captain

INTRODUCES

I=1
N=2
etc.

CU = 87 D=production run (usually several per year)

In '87 the carbs, and exhaust tubes were different. So were some other things, of which I don't have a full listing. Impellers are the same. Now that you know your model year do an e-bay search for an OEM service manual. It'll have all the instructions for your impeller replacement complete with pictures and all.