Need Help - Johnson Outboard Ocean Runner 225 hp

Cartero3412

Recruit
Hope who ever reads this has alot of patience and tolerance for someone new to boating. I recently purchased a used boat. 1992 Seaswirl with a Johnson Outboard Ocean Runner 225 hp motor. I'm really not sure on the year of the motor. I've had it out twice, once with the previous owner. It seems to be running ok so far. But like I mentioned this is all new to me. My only experience is with jetski's.

My questions: I'd like to know how to change the spark-plugs on it, but at this point have never had the engine cover off yet. Looking for basic instruction or how to's. Is there a online manual with maybe diagrams on how to do this. I guess i could try and figure out how to take cover off and find plugs to change. Just wanted to do it properly and hoping there was instruction manual on this. Like I mentioned these questions are probably ridiculously easy to most. But like I said just trying to get started on my new boating experience. Thanks, hope there's some help out there. Cartero

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Need Help - Johnson Outboard Ocean Runner 225 hp

Lets try to get your ducks in a row,
first get the model number,
should be on a plate on the portside leg or bracket. Model number is the one with a J in it.

Then order the factory manual
www.outboardbooks.com

then I'd do some regular upkeep,
change lower gear oil using new seals on drain screws.
Pull prop, inspect shaft for fishing line, lube and replace prop.

When was the water pump done?
when were the carbs rebuilt?
What condition is the fuel plumbing?
These are all regular thingds to watch.
When was it last decarbed with seafoam?