evinrude 140 powerpack color code help needed

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1978 140. i looked in my manual but it does not cover this engine. i need help with the color coded wires coming out of the powerpack to the coils. it seems someone just put the wires to the coils not realizing they go in a certain order. if someone can help me with what wire goes where it would be much appreicated. example orange to coil 1, blue to coil 2

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 140 powerpack color code help needed

The stock 1978 140 came with two CD4 powerpacks; one for cylinders 1 and 3 and one for cylinders 2 and 4.

The orange/blue stripe wires go to the top cylinders 1 and 2, The solid orange wires go to the bottom cylinders, 3 and 4.

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: evinrude 140 powerpack color code help needed

thanks i accidently discovered the previous owner had switched the wires when trying to do some tests to figure out why i wasnt getting max rpms one of the powerpack wires had fallen off and the engine ran better. upon further inspection i noticed the wires on both power packs didnt match, i.e. one side the orange was on top, the other side orange/blue was on top. i switched them around and the engine was running much better but i wanted to double check to avoid any damage.