Problem with Vintage 56 Johnson 15hp Fuel Pump Conversion

BayouBengal

Cadet
I recently acquired this motor that had been converted to a fuel pump setup. The motor has stopped working and I'm thinking the fuel pump conversion is the problem. The job on this motor seems to have been done differently than the pictures I've seen on this forum of other fuel pump conversions. Pictures are attached.

The main concern is that the vacuum hose connects to the block through a hose connector which seems to have been inserted into the block using some kind of sealant instead of threaded. The sealant has deteriorated and the hose connector can easily be slid on and off with my hand. Could this lack of tightness be the cause of my problem, and if so, how do you suggest that I fix it.

Fuel_Pump_01.jpg

Fuel_Pump_02.jpg

Fuel_Pump_03.jpg

Fuel_Pump_04.jpg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Problem with Vintage 56 Johnson 15hp Fuel Pump Conversion

That's your problem bud...no bueno. That fitting should be tight, and the hose connection, too. Take that bypass cover off, clean the port and tap it. Then replace with a threaded fitting. The port into the block provides the pulse which drives your fuel pump...any leaks and no pulse.

BayouBengal

Cadet
Re: Problem with Vintage 56 Johnson 15hp Fuel Pump Conversion

I figured this was the case. Thanks for verifying.

Stay away from Wingfoot Motors on Ebay. He claims to sell restored motors, but this is an example of the second rate type work he does.