Help...1950 or 51 Johnson Sea Horse 5hp

daveyj

Recruit
Well Today I pulled out the old Sea Horse after almost 10 years of sitting. It is my father's and he really doesn't know much about it other than how it used to start and run. I believe it is a 1951 model. The only numbers I could find on it were 926911 and TN 27.

Nosing around the forums I've come up with 1951, but I could be way off base. If I am, some one help me. Anyways, I pulled the plugs, they were dirty, so I cleaned them up because I didn't have new ones. I checked to see if I had spark and there was on each plug. We put some fuel in it (24:1 mixture) and tried priming it with the primer button on the top, but it didn't seem to be working.

I'm assuming I'm going to need to rebuild, clean the carb. I need help with what I'm going to need to order. I want to do it right so I want all of the right parts. Also, there was mention of using a mercury float that has been modified to use, but I haven't found any specifics on how to modify it. Anybody half a link or info on what to do? We're planning on going through the bottom half and replacing the lube, impeller and such things.

I'm cure I'll have plenty more questions while going through this. Oh, and I have the manuals on order.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help...1950 or 51 Johnson Sea Horse 5hp

It is a 1952. The primer won't work unless the slow speed needle is open. It is the bent rod at the front of the crankcase. It should be open 5/8 turn, adjust for best idle from there (it is very sensetive).

Check the ignition. Bad coils are extremely common--even the norm. There is no point in even messing with it until they are replaced.

daveyj

Recruit

It is a 1952. The primer won't work unless the slow speed needle is open. It is the bent rod at the front of the crankcase. It should be open 5/8 turn, adjust for best idle from there (it is very sensetive).

Check the ignition. Bad coils are extremely common--even the norm. There is no point in even messing with it until they are replaced.

Do you recomend replacing even if I am getting spark? For just over $20 bucks it's not a big deal I guess. We wondered what that bent rod was for and we did not open it up before trying to start. My dad does not remember ever adjusting it when using this motor. He has had this motor and used it for at least 25 years. Maybe he was just lucky all this time, but it has been almost 15 years since he has used it and at least 10 years since it has run.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have the same engine I think in the back shed. You're lucky you have the TN model with the neutral control on top, pull and go engines are harder to work on. I have the parts manual for the '51 TN-27 if you PM me I can email it to you. Just give me your email address and tell me which manual you want...

KC09

Cadet

I have a 1950, the man i got it from told me to screw the bent rod in when going slow and unscrew it when going fast, no wonder i've had problems. The engine runs but not very well. I've been tweaking it. I drained the carb and that helped, i'll do it again. What do the coils do and where can i get them, i don't have a parts list. All help appreciated.

I'll be following progress on daveyj project, pick up some pointers.

Thanks

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You should start a new thread for a new issue. PM me for the parts manual.

KC09

Cadet

i'm working with i-boat to correct a problem. i can't post any new threads, only respond. were not sure why, but its a real pain. just started last week and hasn't been cleared up yet.

kc09