1973 evinrude 135 hp needs rebuild in #1 cylinder

mcdonkey37

Cadet
Hello all, I am new to the forum and boating. I have been fixing up an old 1973 signa with a 73 evinrude 135 hp. I took it in to a mechanic to check out what needed work. After pulling out the spark plugs he found that in the #1 cylinder on the right side the spark plug was melted or burnt out. He stated the others looked ok, but the #1 cylinder was going to need a rebuild. He gave me an estimate of $ 3,000 dollars if thier shop does it. What are the best procedures to fix this? Where can I find affordable parts? Are any other makes or models compatible with this motor? Does the cylinder need to be bored out? Is there a good service manual to take you through the steps of repairing this problem?

The mechanic also stated the carbs need to be cleaned or rebuilt. Where is the best place to order parts for a carb rebuild kit?

I appreciate any suggestions and advise

thank you

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1973 evinrude 135 hp needs rebuild in #1 cylinder

www.outboardbooks.com

Pull the head and have a look.
$3K is for a complete overhaul rebuild, some shops only replace all pistons, they won't do one piston.

You should be able to buy parts right here on iBoats.
A new piston is around $140.

autohead18

Cadet
Re: 1973 evinrude 135 hp needs rebuild in #1 cylinder

most likley to be honest with you i think your sourse may be trying to pull somthing take off your head inspect the damadge see if you have a blown head gasket if your piston is damadged than you are going to change those that will cost big bucks check and see if its just a head gasket also check compresion on #1 and see what the dif is on 2 3 4 you can do this with out pulling head dont remove water cover let me know what you find ........note if your head gasket is all $20 doller fix if piston damage 3,000 no shop will change one piston