1987 Evinrude 88 HP SPL Choke procedure??

bryank75

Seaman Apprentice
:)Hello,

I recently purchased a 1987 Four Winns Fish/Ski with a 1987 Evinrude 88hp SPL, the motor runs fine, but when you first start (cold) I have to remove the engine cover, flip the red switch out on the choke solenoid and then start it. Isn't there a way around this? Seems that you could wire up a switch near the remote that would stop the neccesity for this. I hear some talk about pushing in on the key switch, but my remote control is white with a black handle that says OMC on it and it has the trimbuttons in the handle.. Will my choke come on by simply pushing in on the ignition switch? I would think that OMC did not intend for its users to have to remove the engine cowl EVERY time they went to start the engine from a cold start.

Bryan

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Evinrude 88 HP SPL Choke procedure??

It is supposed to turn on when you push the ignition switch in if you have the ignition switch in the run or start position.

You need to have the red handle aligned with and parallel to the cylindrical base of the primer solenoid to work electronically.

For a cold start, squeeze the primer bulb on your fuel line, then push in the key at the same time that you begin to crank and hold the key in until the engine fires. You may have to tap the key in a few times to keep it running unless you have a warm up lever.

The text from the manual is shown in the thumbnail for reference.

Attachments

• 1988 Cold Start.JPG
    1988 Cold Start.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 2

bryank75

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 Evinrude 88 HP SPL Choke procedure??

Thank you for the help, I will try that next time.. Is the 88HP SPL really a 90 in sheep's clothing? I have heard that to be the case. Is this motor enough power for a 15' 9'' V-hull runabout? Will it be ample power to pull a skier or tube?

Bryan