86 Evinrude 6HP - Removing carb for cleaning

kcackler

Cadet
My friend just inherited an 86 evinrude 6HP outboard, and we'd like to clean it up and get it running again. Unfortunately, we've already hit our first hurdle.

How do we remove the carb? The choke slides through a large plastic box which is in the way of the carb screws. I removed the 2 screws holding the plastic box in, but the choke is holding it in. I don't want to go tearing into something we can't put back together, so any advice you've got is appreciated.

iwombat

Captain
Re: 86 Evinrude 6HP - Removing carb for cleaning

A small screw holds the primer knob (no choke) on the plunger. Turn the primer knob until you see the screw. It'll be on the back side of the air box. Be careful not to lose it. You don't have to take it all the way out of the fitting either. Remove it most of the way, pull the knob off, and push the little screw back in after it's cleared the post. That'll keep it from getting lost.

kcackler

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I'm new to outboards (not new to engines though, so hopefully this won't be too difficult).

Since you mentioned that's not the choke - What is the proper operating procedure for using the primer knob? I know how a choke works - What is the primer knob for?

iwombat

Captain

The primer acts as both a pump and an enrichening device. Enrichening is similar to a choking, but operates by opening up new fuel passages rather than closing a choke plate.

I have the 8hp for that year. Here's my procedure:
Pull out, push in, pull out, push in, pull out 1/2, start, and push in after a few seconds.

That gives it two squirts of fuel and enrichens a little for starting.

kcackler

Cadet

That's great info, thanks.

I haven't been out there today (too hot right now), but how is the carb attached? I think I saw 5 screws on there last night - Are those holding the carb on or is it some other connectors?

iwombat

Captain

There's only two fasteners attaching the carb to the manifold.

kcackler

Cadet

Thanks - Got the carb off last night to inspect it, but it looks to be in great shape. Not much varnishing and the float is working properly. So we put it all together and tried to start it about 20 times and didn't even get a half start out of it. So we took it apart again and traced the line of fuel all the way to the manifold and everything looks good. The carb bowl is filling up and the float is shutting off the flow. The primer knob is squirting directly into the manifold. The spark plugs both have a great spark.

What else can we try to get her running? It seems odd to me that it's not even trying to start.

Also, a question we ran into last night - If we do get the engine started, how do we turn it off? We can't find a kill switch anywhere.

Also, another question...Where can we buy the carburetor body cover? It's the black plastic piece with 5 screws in the top of the carb. Putting it back together last night, the brittle plastic broke. Evinrude doesn't list that as an available part on their website, so I don't know where else to go.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Kevin

kcackler

Cadet

Went out this morning to tinker and the engine started up on the very first pull and ran strong. The pee tube (Whatever you want to call it) has a steady stream of water coming from it, and everything just looks like it's working great. Going to try to mend the carb cover that we broke and take her out today or tomorrow.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Re carb top cover. The list I looked at also said COVER, Carb body. For 5-8 hp use 436342 For 9.9 & 15 hp use 433973
Is 436342 not available?

Otherwise looks like a job for an epoxy adhesive!

Stop button should be on the end of the tiller, Knob there also turns to adjust idle speed i think (does on my 84 model)

kcackler

Cadet

I'll look again, but Evinrude's store listed the part as not available, but I'll double check, maybe even call them. We did JB Weld last night, but it didn't hold (Probably because the part had some oil and gas on it). I'll try to get the old weld off today and re-do it.

I'll take a look at the end of the tiller today. We thought there MIGHT be a button there, but if it is we're having a hell of a time pushing it in....

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

In THIS DIAGRAM #49 is the stop button assembly. Also looks the same as mine, but different part no, which also turns to adjust idle speed.

If you have to take the tiller assy apart to replace the stop button may well be worth fitting #43A in place of #43 because without it you'll find at low speeds the throttle slowly closes. A real PITA. 43A enables you to set it and clamp it in position.

Re the cover you have to clean off all traces of oil before using JB weld etc Gasoline with no oil added should do it

iwombat

Captain

The carb top cover has been superceded by another part number. The newer one is less likely to warp.

kcackler

Cadet

Thanks for the info - Will evinrude be able to look up the new part # if I call them up?

Thanks,

Kevin

ko4nrbs

Cadet