Johnson 85 HP tilt/trim won't go down

Honer

Recruit
I have a 1979 Johnson 85 that will raise with the power tilt but won't go down. The trim/tilt motor is running and the motor will go down slowly if it is helped by pushing down on the motor while operating the tilt switch. The power tilt rods will not retract at all however. I have been told it might be a sticky valve . If this is the case how could it be fixed.

Thanks in advance
Honer

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson 85 HP tilt/trim won't go down

How is the fluid level?

Honer

Recruit

It's full with the engine all the way up.

jonesg

Admiral

Tilt it up, engage trailer safety bracket, loosen the manual release valve on the port side mounting bracket (its set back inside a hole in the side bracket and you'll need a big screwdriver with a wrench on the shaft to break it loose....or an impact screwdriver)
Put a sawhorse under the leg and release the trailering bracket, does it drop? , see if you can cycle it up and down manually, do it slowly its not THAT heavy.

Engage safety bracket and check fluid again, refill.
Tighten manual release valve very tight and see if that did it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
3 wire motor I assume.-----remove wires at solenoid.-----Put - tive black to battery and blue to + tive.-----Motor should go up.------Put green to positive and motor should go down.----This bypasses switches and solenoid as a test.

bseballkid1990

Recruit
I'll try that. It's just weird how the motor makes the whining sound for a second or 2 and its like it grinds to a stop but only when trimming down. It's almost as if something is binding up inside or at least it sounds that way.

interalian

Commander
If it's a 3-wire motor, there's a large solenoid for the UP direction, but the DOWN direction is just the switch on the throttle handle. Easy for the little switch to burn out. That's why racerone is suggesting you isolate the switches.