1957 Johnson SeaHorse CD14 5.5hp, Converting to electric fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

syrrayn

Recruit
I am looking into putting in an electric fuel pump to replace the duel line preassure setup on my 1957 Johnson SeaHorse CD14 5.5hp outboard... Has anyone done this? I am looking for any information about this swap.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1957 Johnson SeaHorse CD14 5.5hp, Converting to electric fuel pump

Why not just convert it to a single line system the way OMC did it? MUCH cheaper, safer, higher reliability than the electric fuel pump thing. There is more than one way to to the conversion. I think one of the best ways is to drill and tap the bypass cover and put a nipple in it to run a line to your 3-line pulse vacuum fuel pump. Any 3-line fuel pump for small engines will pretty much do, but the mikuni is nice and fairly inexpensive. I saw someone on this site used a briggs and stratton commercial mower pump and it looked good, too.
You can also plug one of the check valve holes in the intake manifold and use the nipple from the intake to run your 3-line fuel pump. I've done this method. It's cheap and easy,but doesn't look as good as the other method.
If you're interested in using the regular fuel pump instead of electric, just ask for further instructions.
Here's an interesting thread on the topic:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=205628&highlight=converting+2-line+system+to+fuel+pump

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1957 Johnson SeaHorse CD14 5.5hp, Converting to electric fuel pump

I seriously doubt anyone has ever done it as it simply isn't practical. The motor has no charging capability so should you have a battery failure you're dead in the water. If you do not want to find an original style dual line tank (not hard to find on AOMCI.org, eBay, etc.) then you might want to convert to a pressure pulse fuel pump. There are several threads here on i-boats detailing the conversion...

StarCraft1993

Recruit
I have a 1957 5.5 seahorse trying to get her back up and running noticed that the tank and hose leak causing me to lose air pressure I want to convert to the single fuel line with fuel pump but I'm having a hard time finding the correct pump none of the pumps that I have seen on Amazon or ebay specify for my model exactly can anybody help me out and point me in the right direction

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have a 1957 5.5 seahorse trying to get her back up and running noticed that the tank and hose leak causing me to lose air pressure I want to convert to the single fuel line with fuel pump but I'm having a hard time finding the correct pump none of the pumps that I have seen on Amazon or ebay specify for my model exactly can anybody help me out and point me in the right direction

10 year old thread may want to start your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.