'67 Evinrude 18 HP-no water from tell tale

allentd01

Recruit
I just took ownership of a 1967 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin. It has not been used for several years. I read tons of stuff here about how to do some routine maintenance prior to starting the motor e.g. check and replaced the impeller, replace gearcase oil, change plugs, check coils, etc. After doing these things I put the engine lower unit into a barrel of water and fired it up. It started on the third pull, idled nicely, revved fine, shifted fine. I let it run about a minute and then realized that no water was coming out of the two holes on the back of the lower unit casing. My question...should water come out of these two holes (tell tale) or is there no tell tale on this particular motor? Thanks.

allentd01

Recruit
Re: '67 Evinrude 18 HP-no water from tell tale

Here's a picture of the holes that I am asking about i.e are they tell tale holes and should a steady stream of water come out when the engine is running?

Attachments

• Fastwin exhaust tell tale #4.JPG
    Fastwin exhaust tell tale #4.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 0

allentd01

Recruit

Well, after doing some more research on this site I learned that I might not have the deep enough in the barrel I am using to test the engine. I dropped the engine leg a little lower into the barrel and voila! a nice healthy looking spray of water began coming out of the holes. Lesson learned...whenb testing an engine in a barrel or pail of water make sure the level is well above the water pump. Thanks.

geoffers80

Recruit

Hi, I have the same problem. I have just bought the same outboard and cant get it to pump water,how far up is the water pump? I dont think i am using a deep enough drum... Also do you know what mix this outboard should take? Thanks, Geoff.

jasper60103

Commander

The water pump is in the wide section above the water line.
That motor should be deeper in the barrel.

Fuel mix is 50:1.