Evinrude Commercial vs Normal???

soburke

Cadet
I am looking at purchasing a 1994 Evinrude 100 Commercial outboard and I am not sure what the difference is relative to a 'non' commercial or regular 100hp sold at this time. Additionally, I would welcome any input on this years' unique issues or if someone has an opinion on price (compression is two at 110 and two at 105).

thank you! SOB

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude Commercial vs Normal???

most commercials are premixed fuel, heavier lower unit. no outstanding problems if it were properly maintained. compression is OK.

jonesg

Admiral

I have a 1994 150 commercial, the ads state they are designed to run lower compression, more low end torque, bigger prop at lower rpm's.
Might not be ideal for hole shots or skiing.

Commercial heads are different, thats probably where the lower compression comes from, also water pumps are chromed.

I saw the original ad here but it seems to have gone now, you can try,

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2002130520101354590FVwtzo

soburke

Cadet

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback as the Force 120 motor that came with the boat (new to me) is a "anchor" as they say as the flywheel wont even turn.....turns out he had done the compression testing with all the plugs out and when we did it again with only one out the compression was 100 and 100 on one side of the V4 and 110 and 110 on the other side. From what I have seen within these forums all need to be within 15% of the highest number, which these readings are.

we negotiated down to $2,200 he is going to get my old 97 Force 120 that is seized, and he will help me do the entire install (from what I can tell this is between $500 and $1,000 at a shop)....
SOB