70' 9.5hp Johnson/How Do You Adjust Trim Angle?

Larrygs

Cadet
Hi...Just bought a hard-luck 1970 9.5 HP Johnson for $100 and am trying to figure out how to adjust the motor trim angle. #1) It is stamped with "Push In And Turn" above a 3/4" knob attached to a bar with a star gear on the left and one on the right. I have fiddled with it, pushing in, applying pressure, but can't get the star gears to move to adjust the trim. With the knob pushed in, the star gear on the left moves out but not far enough to clear a locking finger. There is also a 1/2" flat control bar an inch below the knob extending across left to right that wiggles and I think it is related to the trim but I have no luck using it. Can you help?
#2) On another subject, near the knob mentioned above, the housing is stamped with "shallow drive". What is that about?
Thanks... Larry

Last edited:

imnezrider

Cadet
Re: 70' 9.5hp Johnson/How Do You Adjust Trim Angle?

Larry,

Hope someone clarifies for "us". I bought one today and have the same puzzle. Surely it can't be as difficult as we're making it, huh?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Put the shift lever in forward gear (it should work in neutral, but may need adjusting) to make sure that the motor is released to swing upward on the stern bracket. Push in the tilt lock and raise the motor. Push in and turn the knob to the desired position and return the motor to the running position. You should set the motor so that the A/V plate is parallel to the water.

The shallow water bracket manually swings back to support the motor at an angle when in shallow water.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Did you first tilt the motor up? Most older units will not move while baring the weight of the motor.

Tilt up/adjust with knob/tilt back down. You have to release lockout to tilt the motor.
Lockout keeps motor from jumping up while in reverse.

imnezrider

Cadet

Did you first tilt the motor up?
You have to release lockout to tilt the motor.
Lockout keeps motor from jumping up while in reverse.

Thank you...I guess that's where my problem is...unable to tilt the motor up because apparently I can't find the "lockout". Can you explain further (I hope)?

imnezrider

Cadet

Put the shift lever in forward gear (it should work in neutral, but may need adjusting) to make sure that the motor is released to swing upward on the stern bracket. Push in the tilt lock and raise the motor.

Please excuse my ignorance. At 73, this is my first boat ever. :) Not sure how to even put the shift lever into forward gear. Are you saying that once in forward (or neutral if adjusted properly), that the motor will be free to swing upward or does the "tilt lock" need to be released in order to raise the motor (don't know where that is either)? My main concern is knowing how to raise the motor when loading/unloading from the trailer (if that is a good idea). Thanks for your patience and input.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnail please. The Tilt Lock Selector is located to the lower right of the front of lower cover. The selector pushes the Tilt Lock Rod back to release the motor when in forward or possibly neutral so that it can be lifted up.

When trailering, with the motor tilted up, you can pull the Tilt lock Selector forward to lock the Tilt Rod Lock in place.

The spring loaded locking lever catches the swivel bracket locking lever pivot pin when the motor is in reverse to keep the motor from swinging up when running in reverse gear.

The neutral position is midway in the arc of the shift handle's travel; The propeller will spin freely. In forward gear the propeller will turn clockwise when viewed from the rear if the flywheel is turned clockwise,

On the 9.5, the handle is up for reverse and down for forward.

Check to be sure that the pin connecting the tilt rod selector to the tilt lock rod is in place or the rod will not move. On some models you can replace them with a small cotter pin.

Attachments

• 9.5 Swivel Bracket.JPG
    9.5 Swivel Bracket.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 31

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

ttt

imnezrider

Cadet

Click the thumbnail please. The Tilt Lock Selector is located to the lower right of the front of lower cover. The selector pushes the Tilt Lock Rod back to release the motor when in forward or possibly neutral so that it can be lifted up.

Well, I'm back and still stuck (he said embarrassingly). After numerous attempts this morning, the locking lever mysteriously released and I raised the motor and locked it in that position for awhile. Later, I decided to lower it and raise it again...NO joy. After many more frustrating attempts, it appears that the locking lever is simply not moving at all.

Check to be sure that the pin connecting the tilt rod selector to the tilt lock rod is in place or the rod will not move.

Should I be able to see the pin? Is it on the schematic? Sorry for all the questions about what is probably a very simple process.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the pin has deteriorated and you cannot replace it, you will have to reach around and move the Tilt Lock Rod back by hand in order to raise the motor or lower it; There are two upward positions in which the Rod can be placed to hold the motor up.

See the red marks on the diagram for the connecting pin.

Attachments

• 9.5 Swivel BrackettLocking Pin.JPG
    9.5 Swivel BrackettLocking Pin.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 23

imnezrider

Cadet

Thanks again for your efforts. I'll start checking again tomorrow.

imnezrider

Cadet

If the pin has deteriorated and you cannot replace it, you will have to reach around and move the Tilt Lock Rod back by hand in order to raise the motor or lower it; There are two upward positions in which the Rod can be placed to hold the motor up.

See the red marks on the diagram for the connecting pin.

Update...never found the pin you referred to, but was able to reach around and move the Locking Lever and raise the motor (only one position on mine). In further examination, I see what looks to be a small diameter steel cable that attaches to the locking rod in the center and travels straight up inside the housing, but I haven't found anything "up top" that it attaches to. It seems obvious that if the cable were pulled, it would rotate the Locking Lever and release the motor for raising.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The locking lever is connected to a wire (reverse lock wire) like part that looks like a bicycle spoke. It is supposed to release automatically when the motor is in neutral or forward gear and only lock in reverse. The adjustment is made to a small barrel-shaped connector on the lower end of the wire. The locking lever prevents the motor from swinging up and causing damage when running in reverse.

That is a totally different part and function from the tilt rod lock which is used to support the motor for trailering and temporary support of the motor.

Please check the first diagram again. http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=2127873&postcount=7

imnezrider

Cadet

Thanks...I pretty much understood the various components already thanks to you and the schematic. It's beginning to look like it isn't going into neutral and won't go into reverse. Based on your posts, if the flywheel is turned clockwise, the prop should turn clockwise (looking from the rear). It's doing that. However, when I raise the handle, it still turns in a clockwise direction. Also, I don't feel any resistance when moving the handle up (at which point it is in a "locked" position until I move a small lever to unlock and lower it). Does this make sense?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Yes, if someone did not put the gearcase back on correctly, the shift rod is probably disconnected or improperly connected.

There is a connector between two sections of the shift rod that has to be rejoined properly when the gearcase or water pump is serviced. To reach it, you must remove the screws that hold the gearcase to the midsection and lower the gearcase at least 3/4".

The connector looks like the one in the attached thumbnail. The screw must be completely removed in order to catch the recessed part of the shift rod and hold it in the correct place.

There is another connecting screw that needs to be correctly set and tightened, but save that for next time.

Attachments

• shift rod connector 2.JPG
    shift rod connector 2.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 4

imnezrider

Cadet

Helpful pic! Please see my images.

Attachments

• Dscn1326.jpg
    Dscn1326.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Dscn1327.jpg
    Dscn1327.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 10

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

First picture: yes to separation point.

Second picture: That is to raise/lower the handle for storage; it can fold down beside the midsection using that.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Inside the engine cover you can find the shaft running from the shift handle to the linkage. Part #72, the detent screw holds the shaft inside part #70. The detent screw has a post on it that blocks the throttle linkage except when the motor is in forward gear.

The linkage has a part called a clevis which causes #67 to raise and lower the shift rod/shaft #81.

The Clevis has a screw #74 coming from the starboard side which adjusts the shift rod arc. That screw must be tight enough not to allow the clevis to slip in relationship to part #70. Use it to adjust the shift so that it snaps easily into gear when the shift handle is raised or lowered with the engine running or when you turn the propeller to help engage the gears.

Relative to the earlier discussion, Part #71 is the controlling linkage through which the spoke-like wire that releases the locking lever passes.

Note that parts # 66, 70, and 72 are made of relatively soft metal and easily broken.

Attachments

• 9.5 Lower Showing Shift Linkage.jpg
    9.5 Lower Showing Shift Linkage.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 12

imnezrider

Cadet

Thanks again. See my pic...is this normal?

Attachments

• Dscn1328.jpg
    Dscn1328.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 6

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's normal, but that is not the shift, that's the throttle. The shift handle is on the other side of the front panel.