1960 Crestliner/1962 Evinrude Ignition Switch

Loubear

Cadet
I bought a 1962 crestliner with 1962 evinrude 75 hp outboard. This last time on the water, it seems the ignition switch has gone bad. All trouble points towards the ignition switch due to it will run if I keep the key in starting postion, but as soon as it goes into run/on position, it dies.

Do I need a special ignition switch? It is a 3 screw ignition switch, and seems pretty simple to put in.

I am new to the BOATING world, and don't know to look for a Crestliner ignition switch or a Evinrude ignition switch... LOL:rolleyes:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 Crestliner/1962 Evinrude Ignition Switch

Is your motor battery ign or magneto? With only three poles, it must be battery. Replacement Ign switches are avail at any marine store. The terminals are batt, ign, solenoid

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I bought a 1962 crestliner with 1962 evinrude 75 hp outboard. This last time on the water, it seems the ignition switch has gone bad. All trouble points towards the ignition switch due to it will run if I keep the key in starting postion, but as soon as it goes into run/on position, it dies.

Do I need a special ignition switch? It is a 3 screw ignition switch, and seems pretty simple to put in.

I am new to the BOATING world, and don't know to look for a Crestliner ignition switch or a Evinrude ignition switch... LOL:rolleyes:

You are smarter than the average bear in that you have pretty well diagnosed the problem.

There are two different types of ignition switches for the 1962 75hp, depending on whether you have magneto or battery ignition. Battery ignition uses the three terminal one, magneto uses a 5 terminal one. Both are available right here at iboats.

Battery ignition has the distributor cap ABOVE the timing belt, Magneto has the distributor hanging upside down BELOW the timing belt.

Loubear

Cadet

Thanks... got to find a marine store around kansas city now to get one. Want to enjoy this great day!

Thank you again!