a little wire routing help for the evinrude

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
the motor harness running up to the center console has a few loose wires.
I am pretty sure they go to individual guages.

I have figured the white,w/brown stripe is the TRIM sender wire

there are 2 blacks, and 2 purples and ONE GRAY left over

From trying to look over the wiring diagrams in the few books I have( some with out color or lettering for colors)

I think I have traced the gray to the rectifier/regulator

would that make the loose gray lead my sender for a VOLT meter?

the purples are for what???

powering the guages with ignitions supplied power?

the lights seem to have their own power source

and I supposed to wire the lighting for the individual guages in with the Navigation lights?

Thought i saw that some where....so the lights come on when it is dark enough to need NAV lights

what happens when i have more than two guages i want to power up?

just splice into the purples???

same goes for the blacks?

can I just run black wires from my gauges right to my Negative BUSS BAR under my console??

or do i have to tie them into these two black wires coming in from the harness??

which is the right way to do it??

thanks

the gauges i will run are

TACH( there is a big 8 pin plug on the harness for the TACH)

trim guage
volts
water pressure
water temps
and a height gauge for my hydraulic jack plate, but I am all set with that

I just checked and it seems the temp sender wire is TAN, but it runs into the tack plug....can I splice into that and use it for the temp GUAGE I am installing?

hate this witing stuff

next up after this is the boats harness. I just bought....but need to plug in extra wires, because i have more accessories and I have them in different places that the boat MFG did

thanks

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: a little wire routing help for the evinrude

The gray wire is the sender wire for the tachometer. Purple wires are positive fused accessory voltage from the ignition switch.

A typical wiring diagram would look like the one at Bill Kelly's site, but your functions are the same: http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc_pics/REMCONTBOX.jpg

The PT&T Tilt wiring is in a separate harness but the colors are generally red w/white stripe, green w/white stripe, blue w/white stripe, tan or brown w/white strip and tan or brown w/black stripe.

The system check tach's 8 pin harness has the wiring built in except for the light so you would just plug that into the tach if it is already in line to the engine.

jonesg

Admiral

I'm doing the same , I have a temp guage to install, I don't think you can use the same wire as the temp sensor on the engine, that goes to the alarm buzzer. I wouldn't touch that, but I'm electronically dyslectic.

I'm going to run a new wire, I'll tape it to the loom.
If you get the factory service manual they have all the wire color codes and circuits in the back of the book.

www.outboardbooks.com

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The temp sender for the horn alarm is simply an on/off switch and cannot be used for gauges.

The gauge sender is a variable resistor and must be separately mounted and carefully grounded at the cylinder head.

The tan wire in the primary harness is the main warning lead for the entire warning system, you cannot attach anything else to it.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

ok so the tan wires are for the horn over temps....the wires comes from two different sensors in the center of the heads.

so If I want to wire up a temp guage...do i need to go buy a seperate sendor?

I noticed there is about a 5/16th dia threaded hole in one head that is empty...is that were a sendor might go?

I have a horn...it has a purple and a tan ( or light brown) with blue stripe.

the tan with blue stripe has been cut...so only a purple wire goes to the horn now

the VRO system has been discconnected by the previous to me owners.

if I need this tan wire to the horn.....how do i make sure I dont get a low oil in tank alarm?( dont have a tank!!)

where do i pick up a lead for my voltage guage?

PS: my motor doesnt have the red big plug..

it has about 4 seperate plugs on the harness.
and the book I have , the pages are all damaged that has the wiring for my motor( borrowed book from my repair man)

thanks

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You never said what year the boat wiring was but I did expect that the motor would not have the large red plug, that is the older controll wiring diagram from the pre-1996 helm. The 1996 and newer engines have system check harnesses as yours should have. You have to merge the two systems if your boat was wired earlier, either by buying the crossover kit or by rewiring one of the systems.

The 1995 boat to 1996 system check engine kits have a harness with a matching red plug at one end and several connections for the newer system at the other.

It does not matter if you use the alarm system as designed or not, you still need separate wiring and sender for the temperature gauge, and the sender has to match the gauge. Most loop charged engines have a pre-bored and threaded hole in the cylinder heads for a temperature gauge sender. Instructions come with the gauge kit along with the sender and wire.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

hey thanks for the replies ezeke.

my boat is brand new...but it was a tiller model with no electrical.

I bought the factory CC for it and am wiring it up from scratch.

I went and bought the factory harness for the CC model from LOWE, mainly to plug into the harness end that comes with the switches that are part of the CC I bought.

the boat harness only has wires for the fuel guage the nav lights a bilge and an areator.

the motor harness has the wires i need to use with my guages( I have portable gas tanks, so no gas guage.)

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The gray wire is the sender wire for the tachometer. Purple wires are positive fused accessory voltage from the ignition switch.

The system check tach's 8 pin harness has the wiring built in except for the light so you would just plug that into the tach if it is already in line to the engine.

on the tach that has a 8 pin plug-in on the back there is no provision for the grey wire?

why would thr wiring harness have the 8 pin connector for this tach AND a grey Tach wire??

do I just leave it hanging loose?

thanks

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The gray wire is built in to the 8 pin tach harnesses on the systemcheck wiring for engines after 1995 and on the conversion kits for upgrading the older boats.

Please click the thumbnail for a typical schematic. See pin #3.

It is not clear what you are trying to do, but if you are upgrading pre-1996 boat wiring, the gray wire is obviously redundant.

Attachments

• SystemCheck_commander_tachometer 02.jpg
    SystemCheck_commander_tachometer 02.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 9

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

24npoxy.jpg

apparently I have BOTH the 8 pin TACH connector AND and extra Gray wire.

it looks like the previous owner of the motor had a blue plastic cover over the end of the LOOSE GRAY wire.

I was just wondering what that EXTRA gray wire might be needed for...of it is there in case the boat didnt have an 8 pin connectore TACH

I was lucky I bought the tach used from another source!!

Like i said before...this is a new boat and the wiring harness I have came with the motor I bought

all the guages i have, I got from different sources..

because they are what i think I would like to have on this boat

i am just trying to wire up this boat using this motor harness that came with the motor.

I now know that I will have to wire something seperately...LIKE A VOLT meter...

I really dont know where to pull a sender wire from to go to the volt meter

thanks again

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The gray wire running to the remote is always the tachometer sender from the engine on OMC tachs. It runs through the harness to the tachometer and has no other function at the helm.

Why not get your ohmmeter out and find out where that gray wire with the blue cap is terminated? - It's certainly possible that it may have been used for something unconventional.

The rest of boat wiring was up to the boat manufacturer. The usual color codes are described here: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/wireColorCode.html#OMC