Boat Not getting on plane!

Haasman

Cadet
Have a 1990 Hydrosport Bass Boat 17.6" It has a 1986 150 Johnson 150 GT.
When I shower down on it, the nose points straight in the air and will not get on plane until someone goes to the front of the boat. Once it gets on plane, it runs like a scalded dog. It has a 23 pitch Raker stainless prop. any help would be appreciated.
Leonard

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Not getting on plane!

is this a new motor or prop to this boat? I have a 16 ft bass boat with the same motor and all I'm able to turn is a 20 maybe a 21p prop. If it is new I think you have too much prop. What is your Wide Open Rpm? It should be 5500 or more average load. Also, are you tilting the motor all the way down on takeoff?

Haasman

Cadet

is this a new motor or prop to this boat? I have a 16 ft bass boat with the same motor and all I'm able to turn is a 20 maybe a 21p prop. If it is new I think you have too much prop. What is your Wide Open Rpm? It should be 5500 or more average load. Also, are you tilting the motor all the way down on takeoff?
It is an '86 motor. Has plenty of power and is tilted all the way down...
Thanks CD

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

You are over propped to be nailing the throttle on take off.
Only way to maintain what you have and do that is add trim tabs. You have to keep the stern from digging in.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is your wide open throttle Rpms?

Haasman

Cadet

Ok guys, here is the latest! I bought the trim tabs that were suggested and they worked well but, when I have a full tank of fuel and have someone else in the boat, it then goes back to pointing the nose in the air and will not get on plane. It does get on plane when I am by myself. Can someone suggest something else to try and if you think I am over propped, please help me in selecting a prop for this boat. It is getting frustrating when I cant take noone with me fishing.

Thanks in advance.
Leo

jonesg

Admiral

how much weight is at the stern? fuel tank? batterie/s?
Its a smallish boat for a 375 lb outboard.
can you move anything fwd for balance?

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a hydrafoil to overcome that problem one time. I didn't like the way it cavitated when turning though. The trim tabs maybe a better wat to go.

Haasman

Cadet

how much weight is at the stern? fuel tank? batterie/s?
Its a smallish boat for a 375 lb outboard.
can you move anything fwd for balance?

Not 100% sure jones, that is something I have thought as well, but the other variable i have in this is... The boat originally came with a 150 faststrike and when pa-inlaws buddy died and left him this boat. he swapped the motors and put the newer motor on his boat and then proceeded to give me the boat that his buddy left him and put his 86 150 on it for me.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you are using a thrust rod, move it closer to the transom so that your trim range is expanded, then use the full range to get out of the hole, easing it out as the boat comes on plane.

BTW, every one of those add-on devices causes extra drag and lowers your top end, especially on turns.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Would I drop down to like a 19 pitch or so?

Any possibility you have waterlogged foam in there ?? Have you weighed the boat ??
You could find a friendly dealer that will let you try out some different props first before you buy one to see what happens. Always handy to have a spare prop anyway. Just have the courtesy to buy your next prop from the guy who helps you out. Have you tried loading more gear up front ??