Need help removing foot from 80's 30HP Johnson Outboard

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a boat and was checking the water pump, and found it is not working when submerged in water. I also noticed that at the very bottom of the foot where the fin is, there is a very large crack and looks as though it was repaired (or tried to repair) but has cracked again and water can access it now.
I want to remove the foot, I have removed the 4 bolts and one from the top of the foot, but I can not remove the foot, is there another bolt?
Also, what would be the best solution for the crack, just replace the foot?
Where would be the best place to find a foot, preferably used?

Thank you

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help removing foot from 80's 30HP Johnson Outboard

I think you removed all the bolts holding it on. Is it dropping down some and then hanging up? If it is then you need to disconnect the shift rod. My 1980 25hp had an access plate located on the the left side of the leg no more then a 1' below the powerhead.
If its not dropping at all the drive shaft may be stuck inside the powerhead. Try hitting the lower unit with a rubber mallet but don't hit so hard the cavitation plate will bust off.

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice

It dropped down about 2 - 2.5" I have the access plate off and there is a brass nut about 2" long with another not on top of that. I was able to turn it with my fingers but it just seems to keep spinning?:confused:
Is there some type of tool that I need?

diver_down

Seaman

Those are basically two "nuts" that screw into each other and keep the two parts of the shift rod together. you need to unscrew them by holding one while you work the other, or at least that's how mine was.

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice

Can a crack in the bottom of the foot be repaired. It looks like it was repaired once (not very well) and cracked again. If the foot has to replaced where is the best place to find a replacement, I'm in Alabama and would like to find a place that sells used parts.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ebay has used ones all the time, just have to find one for your year/hp. Other years/hp's might also work, but you would need to check on that.
I am sure it could be repaired, but it is a sensitive area and you would need to find a highly skilled welder to fix it. It would probably end up costing you as mush as or more than just getting a used one. I know around here aluminum welding is like $60/hr + supplies/materials, and that's at a trailer shop. Other places I have been to charge $100/hr and up.

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice

I have disconnected the shift rod, but the lower unit will not come out completely, it seems like the nut on the motor side of the shift rod is too large to fit through the water pump housing. Does the housing have to come off first?

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

You don't have to remove the housing or anything else.
I'm not even sure what your describing.

As long as you removed the bolt from the shift coupler the thing should slide out. If its hanging up on something you can move the shift rod around with a screwdriver to free it up.
Unless the lower unit is hanging up SOLID then it's ready to drop out.

When you go to put the lower unit back in you will probably need to turn the flywheel slowly by hand in order to line up the splines with the drive shaft of the lower unit. Just lightly push up on the lower unit until you feel it slide in. When you get it lined up lower it back down and make sure the water tube goes into the pump housing. You will also need the shift shaft to go back in the coupler. I always had a hook type tool to position the shift rod so it would slide into the coupler the same time the water tube slides in the housing. I always did it by myself but another person would be handy.
You might be able to move the upper shift rod high enough with the shift lever then lower it back down onto the lower shift rod by moving the lever into the reverse position. If that works make sure the lower unit is in the same gear as the position of the shift lever.

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice

Please see photos of lower unit, the one picture shows the coupling disconnected and the other shows how far the lower unit will come out before it stops. It feels like it is stopping when the coupling nut (motor side) hits the housing. The hole is not large enough for the nut to go through?
Sorry pictures are dark, my camera phone does not have flash.

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/sdreffs/?action=view&current=SNC00053.jpg

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/sdreffs/?action=view&current=SNC00055.jpg

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Your connection is different then mine. When I disconnected my shift rod all that was left was the rod to pull out. I have never seen that type of connector. I hope its factory.
Have you physically looked at the top of the rod while pulling to see how much its hanging up? Might have to file the hole opening a tad.

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice

I think I disconnected the shift rod adjustment for the forward / reverse, please see pictures of motor. I can not find a plate to access the bolt to disconnect the shifting rod, to remove the lower unit. I also took a picture of the power head. Thank you

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/sdreffs/?action=view&current=SNC00059.jpg
http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/sdreffs/?action=view&current=SNC00058.jpg
http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/sdreffs/?action=view&current=SNC00057.jpg
http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/sdreffs/?action=view&current=SNC00056.jpg