Helicoil or Marine-Tex ?

Low Bridge

Cadet
Repair with Helicoil or Marine-Tex?

I went to put a new water pump in my 94 Johonson 20. Everything has gone smooth-

But- one of he bolts that mounts the lower foot to the mid case of the outboard was "marine tex ed"- into place". The previous owner did a good job-I did not know it had been done untill I took it apart-

Are there any types of helicoils not to use if I go that route-
Thanks all!

Low-

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Helicoil or Marine-Tex ?

Depending on which bolt and what it holds the bolt..... if there is enough metal there consider the next size up in a ss bolt. It is only aluminum that you will be tapping. I would not "glue" it in.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Helicoil or Marine-Tex ?

As Bob said, depending upon the space available, the next size SS bolt or stub is a very reasonable option.

Also consider the space required for the wrench to turn that next size.

Generally when a bolt or stud has been stripped out a standard heli-coil works fine, and is actually stronger than the original aluminum thread as it is about a half-size larger thread contact with the aluminum.

However, if there as damage to the surrounding supporting structure, like one side fractured, broken out, then you may have to resort to one of the threaded inserts, much larger than a Heli-coil.

Shortly before OMC's demise the joint venture Volvo - OMC drive came with every hole factory heli-coiled to ensure reliability of the threads.