evinrude 48 SPL bogging down?

NoelG

Cadet
2 stroke Evinrude 48 SPL 92' model

Engine starts and runs great at first.... Motor will not miss a beat an any speed and seems perfectly fine... However, after about 10 minutes or so (10 minutes of running wide open and about 20 minutes of running half throttle), the engine will begin to miss and lose power, eventually bogging down and shaking alot. Smoke becomes more evident and the engine becomes worse and worse. No overheat alarm has sounded and the engine, while warm, is not excessively hot. The only way ive found to fix the problem is to let the motor sit for a while(engine turned off). The longer the motor sits, the longer i can run the motor before it begins to bog down once again. I recently had the carbs rebuilt by a proper mechanic but to no avail.

Please Help... Thanks alot in advance!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: evinrude 48 SPL bogging down?

99% you have a coil or power pack, warming up and failing. you need to check your spark immediately when it acts up, i suspect you will find, one cylinder not firing. then swap the coils postions completely. take it for another run. till it acts up again, check spark, i suspect you will find the no spark followed the coil, to the other cylinder. if so replace the coil.

if the no spark stayed at the original cylinder, then i would suspect that the power pack is failing.

i have the same motor.

NoelG

Cadet

makes alot of sense..
Interestingly, i recently changed the coil (just a few months ago) so it must be the power pack.....
At least now i'll give the mechanic a place to start... BTW... how much does a power pack (new) run price-wise?

NoelG

Cadet

ok... just heard from mechanic... after taking the boat out for a spin.... he says it is the stator. tell me... how much should i trust him on this one?? could he be correct?

P3anut

Recruit

i have a johnson 48 spl an it cranks an runs great but it boggs down whenever you give it gas got new carbs on it

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

P3anut, you need to start a new post, this one is over 2 years old. Give us the model number so that we know exactly what engine you have.

groovek

Recruit

Peanut or anyone, I have a 92 48 SPL and having the same problem, has anyone figured it out? I have 150 psi on both cylinders, carbs have been rebuilt, motor is tight as a bulls *** at the beginning but just will not run at high speed. anyone have the solution to this yet?