1988 Evinrude 28 HP will not idle

autowerx123

Recruit
i just bought a 18' pontoon with a 28 hp evinrude. this thing runs like a champ when its in gear or full throttle, but my problem is in idle, or backing off the throttle to get to idle. i have to start the motor in gear like maybe half throttle and it will run fine. every now and then i can start it in neutral position but when i do it runs very rough and stalls out. when im on the lake and im cruising around it runs perfect, all day long, but when i need to dock and im backing off the throttle it stalls. the main time this is a problem for me is when im at the boat ramp and im trying to pull up on my tralier. i cant do it, stalls everytime. anyone have a clue what my problem is? thanks for your help!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 Evinrude 28 HP will not idle

either dirty low speed jet in the carb, or the idle speed stop screw need adjusting.(idling too slow) the idle speed screw in on the port side of the motor, at the edge of the flywheel, move the throttle linkage and you will see the timing plate linkage come back and stop at the screw. turn it in a few turns. i have in the past had to move the lock nut to the inside of the bracket.