28 hp Evinrude spl

mreynolds811

Recruit
I have a 28 hp Evinrude spl ( not sure of the year) that is leaking fuel out of two small holes around the lower unit while parked. The two holes are on the side and look like they are supposed to be there. Why is fuel coming out of these holes and where is the fuel coming from. Also where can you find a owners manual for the 28 spl online. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 28 hp Evinrude spl

Manuals can be found on this site. Those holes are water drains. In freezing climates, without those drains, the trapped water would crack the lower unit casting. The fuel would be the unburn fuel/oil mixture.... if excessive, check the carburetor, fuel pump diaphragm, possible weak ignition, etc.

mreynolds811

Recruit
Re: 28 hp Evinrude spl

I am not very good with motors, in fact this is the first boat that I have ever owned. After finding the carb I noticed that there is some fuel still sitting in side, I don't kown if this is normal or not. The first time I took it to the lake it started up with the first turn of the key, once I backed it off the trailer it died. After a few more cranks and a little throttle it fired up and stayed running. Later that afternoon I took it to another lake and it didn't want to start so I pulled it back up in the parking lot and let it set while other people who where waiting to launch put there boats in the water ( embarrasing). Then I backed back in the water and after about six or seven cranks it fired up and ran great for the rest of the day. I then brought it home and put it back in the garage where it sat for five or six days before the fuel started leaking out. I have cleaned the fuel up three times in the last week and a half ( not much maybe a spot about the size of a coffee can). I found the model number and found out that my motor is a 88 model but still havn't been able to find an 88 model owners manual.