Johnson 140 won't steer = rusty steering problem

Toy Yot

Cadet
My 1987 Johnson 140 VRO is almost frozen in place and a lot of rust is evident on the tiller(?) arm that connects to the steering cable. I'm afraid the rust extends into that tube that runs from the powerhead down to the lower unit (steering pin?) which is why the motor won't turn. I periodically grease the fitting on the side of that tube (saltwater use) but it has kept getting worse until I can only turn the motor with a pry bar.

My helm and cables are good and function freely. I have contemplated disassembling the motor and replacing that tube and the rusted tiller arm but so far I have been unable to find those parts anywhere nor can I find any info about repairing or replacing these parts. By the way the motor still runs STRONG so I certainly don't want to replace the whole motor. Any help / info /suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 140 won't steer = rusty steering problem

You could try to heat the tube at the top & bottom which will free it up sometimes. Technically it needs to come apart and have the steering shaft changed. Finding a mid section shouldn't be that hard. Let me know if you need help finding one.

the problem is the end of that steering cable is really tight and its hard to get grease in there salt water does a number on steering components and the motor. my best advice would be to pull the cable off and to try to get some PB Blaster in there to free it up whats happening is the salt water dried all the grease up inside the steering cable and the rust is binding it up keep spraying it on there and try to work it free. same problem i had on my boat at first it was tuff to steer then it was impossible to turn it a inch be patient and work the cable free.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

He mentioned the helm and cables are free and working properly. The only way he knows that is to have disconnected the drag link and tried the steering while it's disconnected. Since the cable is free and the motor is still stuck the problem is in the midsection.

yeah i read his post to quick i looked over that part of the midsection not turning... i would try to heat it up as the guy was saying and try to work it free....

Toy Yot

Cadet

You could try to heat the tube at the top & bottom which will free it up sometimes. Technically it needs to come apart and have the steering shaft changed. Finding a mid section shouldn't be that hard. Let me know if you need help finding one.

I forgot to mention I already heated the tube to try to free the old grease but that didn't do any good. I thought it would have to come apart and be replaced but are you suggesting that it is easier just to replace the whole midsection rather than try to replace those parts? (and where does one begin looking in Miami Fl for the midsection for a 1987 motor?):confused:

Last edited:

Toy Yot

Cadet

Thanks, I'll start my search