1990 Evinrude 225 HP Tilt/Trim Not working

NWBill

Recruit
Greetings from the Great Northwest to everyone on this lovely Mother's Day! I hope one of you experts out there can be of help, as I am a novice with this motor.

The tilt/trim is not working, it worked when I first purchased the boat/motor and then sat idle for several months this winter. Now it is spring and I am eager to hit the water and gosh I cannot tilt it up to get my transom saver off.

When I push the up button nothing moves and I hear a soft clicking.

I was told to replace the relays, which I did and the problem still exists. What should I do now, replace the tilt motor?

Thanks for reading
BillB

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1990 Evinrude 225 HP Tilt/Trim Not working

Does the pump motor sound ?

NWBill

Recruit

Thanks for the reply;

I guess since I am not hearing anything else when I push the button the answer would be no.

Thanks
BillB

floffshore

Seaman Apprentice

does the motor crank over?

if the battery is not fully charged, or if your connection to the battery has corroded somewhere and you have a weak connection, this could also produce the symptoms youre describing.

NWBill

Recruit

Yes, the motor is running very well, completely rebuilt and only has about 8 hrs on it and the batteries are brand new and fully charged

BillB

jonesg

Admiral

You really need to get a factory service manual and follow the suggested tests in the book, its basic electrical testing.
www.outboardbooks.com

mine is a 1994 150hp, the manual contains 48 pages on the trim tilt,
its very thorough.
I'll take another look in my manual, basically it states to make sure the manual relase valve is tight but you seem to be not getting juice to the motor or the motor is dead.
Try tracing the tilt motor wires back to where you can test for voltage when the switch is pushed to tilt. If you get juice the drive motor is kaput.

What I've done in the past is take the old relay, pop the top off it, work the relay by hand, just press the contacts together and see if it passes voltage, clean the plug sockets too.

but get the factory manual anyway.

NWBill

Recruit

Thank You very much for the suggestions and the link, I will be getting a service manual ASAP. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post.

BillB