1994 Johnson 70 HP Salt Water

moxieman

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at getting a 1994 Apex Inflatable RIB with a 1994 70 HP Johnson on it. My concern is that it has spent it's life in Annapolis MD, and obviously has been in saltwater. Am I looking for trouble in buying an engine that has been in saltwater for that long? The motor looks clean from the outside, but that has no proof of what the cooling system is like. The dealer said it pumps good water, and he sent me a video of it running, but my concern is that the engine will need to be repowered in the next 2 to 3 years. any input?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1994 Johnson 70 HP Salt Water

One of the biggest concerns is breaking bolts when making repairs. Salts can really seize bolts, as well asclog up cooling passages, and pit out aluminum...especially the LU. Other than that, outboards are designed to be in salt water. But obviously, they last longer in fresh water!

Look at the LU for pitting and flaking paint. A badly pitted LU may cause me to ask a few more questions.

If the motor was well maintained, you're probably OK. Ask for a compression check any service records if available.

MAS