1982 Lund Super Pike & 1983 75HP Evinrude

ZigZaggin

Seaman
Hello ? I have a 1982 Lund XRF 4.9 Super Pike. The boat is in Mint Condition. It is 17ft long and weighs about 1100 lbs fully loaded. I just bought the boat and have only owned one small 15ft v-bottom prior to this boat with a tiller outboard. I bought the Lund because it was in fantastic shape, has great brand reputation and the guy had receipts for $1,200 worth of work that was recently done to the motor. I even called the shop and they said it was great boat and motor. That work included 3 new carb kits, new plugs, new tilt & trim, complete seal replacement in the lower unit, and a new water pump impeller. Receipt says compression was 120 on all 3 cylinders. The motor is a 1982 Evinrude 75 HP motor. Model # E75TRLCTE. Serial # J0300867.

The problem: I took the boat out today for the first time and the motor started right up & shifted fine. Idles great even after you put it in gear. Thus we were on our way. I opened the motor up and it dug right in and seemed to take off fine. Pushed it to full throttle and once we got up to about 26 mph (reported by the fish finder speed sensor) the boat just seemed to stop accelerating and it sounded like the motor began to bog down. As if it was not getting up to full power. So, 25-26 MPH was my top speed and that was it. I played with the throttle a little bit and when I backed off a little bit the motor seemed to sound better but we didn't go any faster. Unfortunately the tachometer is not functioning but it didn't sound like i was in that optimum 5000-6000 range. I believe the prop is a 17 pitch and it is aluminum. A pretty standard setup based on what I?ve read online. Does this sound right to you? 26MPH? Everything I?ve read online via boaters forums etc leads me to believe that I should get at least 35 -40 mph or so from this setup.

I would don?t have a big budget for motor work but I would like to know if you think there is a problem that can be fixed or if that speed is normal?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 Lund Super Pike & 1983 75HP Evinrude

well, you need to do some troubleshooting for yourself. how long had the motor sat unused, before you bought it. do your own compression and spark check. high speed jets could be clogged. could have a bad coil heating up and failing.

purchase a Erude service manual, outboardbooks.com

5150abf

Vice Admiral

With a 2 stroke it is hard to hear a miss sometimes and alot of times when you mess with carbs you knock something lose and the first place it goes is the high speed jet.

I have a 16' with a 50 and get 27-30 so I would say your speed is off but fish finder speedos are notoriuosly wrong so I wouldn't trust that at all, mine registers 8-10 when the GPS says I am going 27.

TD is right all boat owners should learn how to do basic maintanence, compression check, carb cleaning ect, it is really nice to be able to do that stuff on your own and it isn't hard and will save you thousands of dollars in the long run.

I woudl geuss that the high speed jet in one carb is blocked if you got 27, this needs to be adressed before you go out again, if a cylinder isn't getting gas it isn't getting oil either and that is really bad.

The high speed jets are i the bottom of the float bowl, pull the drain screw on the float bowl and they are inside there, you will need a long skinny screw driver to get to them, and yes, order a manual.

ZigZaggin

Seaman

Ok - thanks for the info fellas. I appreciate your repsonses.

ZigZaggin

Seaman

Greetings - Unfortunately I do not have a lot of time so I am burning up some cash on this lil gem. I took it back to the guy who originally repaired it, told him he missed some things and he was actually very nice about it. We went out on a ride and he agreed with me that there was an issue with WOT performance. I dropped it off this Monday (08JUN2009). I am waiting to hear back from him. I will post the results, something many people fail to do here which is irritating.

POST the results of your woes people! If you don't this board will only be full of unsolved problems... What good is that?

ZigZaggin

Seaman

Ok so here we are. I still have the bogging problem. I have fully rebuilt the carbs and after taking the boat out and still having it bog was very frustrated. When I got the boat home I pulled the plugs and the number 2 plug was black with oil. The #1 & #3 cylinders were nice and tan.

So I got a Lisle inline spark tester and sure enough I have very weak & intermittent spark on the #2 cylinder. I am fairly certain that I have an intermittent trigger/timer base or power pack issue. However I am not sure. This engine has CD2 ignition. Do i spend the extra $100 for the DVA Peak meter to properly check things out or just spend the $560 and get a whole new ignition system. For $560 I can get a brand new stator, timer base, power pack, and all new coils (all CDI Brand). Right now I am considering just getting rid of the 75 HP motor and installing a 2008 90 HP Mercury Optimax and being done with it. My friend has offered me a great deal on the optimax as he is wanting to upgrade his HP. The only hold back is the extra weight of the optimax. I will post back.

ZigZaggin

Seaman

So just to follow up on things I wanted to let everyone know that I have sold the motor. Luckily I found a buyer... I reached a point where spending anymore money on it was a bad investment. The motor ran but just not great in my opinion. I ended up getting a fair price and purchased a 1985 Mercury 90HP (inline 6 "tower of power"). Thus far I have been pretty happy with it.