johnson 225 venom power pack

45redfish

Recruit
98 225 venom not firing on starboard cylinders, is that caused by a bad power pack?

daselbee

Commander
Re: johnson 225 venom power pack

The shift switch kills cyls 1,3,and 5 momentarily when shifting.
Those cyls are the starboard bank.
Look for the problem in the shift switch shorted to GND.

Bendeguz

Cadet

Hello there

I am having the same problem the right cyls are not firing.

I am thinking of the powerpack or the stater assembly. They are about 300 bucks each so not bad but just want to make sure that that is what the problem is.

Let me know if you had luck with it.

Cheers

Lester

Bendeguz

Cadet

Hello all well i found the culprit indeed it was a sticky shift assist switch that shut down the right bank of cylinders.
I unplugged the connection and using a volt meter it seemed that it always stays open. I took the switch out about 5 minute job. disconnecting the linkages for the throttle and the shifter. I found a place for parts check here http://www.**********/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1998/J225STLECS/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html they have great Schematic Breakdowns of each section of the motor. The switch and wiring is $64.79 not bad for an easy fix. BTW no oil coming out of the exhaust anymore either all six cylinders running once the switch is out of the picture.

I hope this helps someone figure out if you are having the same issues.

Cheers

Lester

daselbee

Commander

Slight problem with your analysis....your switch is always open? That failure mode cannot cause the loss of three cyls. If the switch was always CLOSED, then your symptoms would follow the failure mode. So, double check your thinking....that switch would have to be always CLOSED to cause three stbd cyls to shut down. Also, note the age of this posting/thread. The sysops don't like to resurrect the old ones for some reason.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is a four year old thread, guys. Leave it alone and start your own thread, as you are instructed in three different places.