67 evinrude 80hp speedifour carb linkage

a70eliminator

Captain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dropped my motor trying to lift it onto the transom, it broke the link pin off the distributor to carb linkage. I made a new pin and it's all back together now.
I see three adjustments:
#1 slotted holes on the flat arm
#2 threaded length adjustment carb end
#3 distributor stop screw
Anyone care to give me a quick run down on what to look for in a preliminary baseline check.
The roller that rides on the big cam that operates the throttle plates just barely looses contact at throttle off (plates completely closed)
The roller rides up the cam as throttle is applied, then drops into a valley , a sorta dead zone where nothing is happening, other than the distributor is advancing, the cam then comes up out of the valley and begins to advance the throttle plates again at which point the distributor is just advancing past the start position arrow and eventually bottoms on the fixed bumper stop, (full advance) am I missing anything I should be looking at? I realy should get a manual but I'm just tinkering around getting ready for the first sea trial after a motor swap.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 67 evinrude 80hp speedifour carb linkage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dropped my motor trying to lift it onto the transom, it broke the link pin off the distributor to carb linkage. I made a new pin and it's all back together now.
I see three adjustments:
#1 slotted holes on the flat arm
#2 threaded length adjustment carb end
#3 distributor stop screw
Anyone care to give me a quick run down on what to look for in a preliminary baseline check.
The roller that rides on the big cam that operates the throttle plates just barely looses contact at throttle off (plates completely closed)
The roller rides up the cam as throttle is applied, then drops into a valley , a sorta dead zone where nothing is happening, other than the distributor is advancing, the cam then comes up out of the valley and begins to advance the throttle plates again at which point the distributor is just advancing past the start position arrow and eventually bottoms on the fixed bumper stop, (full advance) am I missing anything I should be looking at? I realy should get a manual but I'm just tinkering around getting ready for the first sea trial after a motor swap.

You could get a manual a lot easier than I can sit here and type it all out for you. However, short story is the throttle plates just start to crack open when the roller is centered on the mark on he cam.
See the vertical shaft that operates the throttle? If you look straight down on it from above, you will see a flat edge on the bracket that holds it. The distributor should hit the full advance stop as the control arm lever aligns with that edge. Then further movement of the control lever kicks the carburetor wide open.

Disclaimer: This is from memory. I don't have the 1967 book either. Parts vary by year. Besides, the manual has pictures.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: 67 evinrude 80hp speedifour carb linkage

Thanks! I will look for that too. I'm thinking the settings should be pretty good as it looks to have not been messed with very much and I marked all the settings before removing and cleaning it all up, but tomorrow's the acid test. I'll post the results.