1989 Evinrude 70hp electric primer

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
This has a manual valve...should this be set at a certain position? What is this part for? It looks like a small knob that freely turns with a little friction to keep it in place.

thanks

Okee Jimmy

Seaman
Re: 1989 Evinrude 70hp electric primer

The little red lever on the primer solenoid is there so it can be operated manually. The handle should be posititioned in line with the primer body, for normal operation (valve closed).

ob

Admiral

The little red lever on the primer solenoid is there so it can be operated manually. The handle should be posititioned in line with the primer body, for normal operation (valve closed).

Okee Jimmy is correct.The red (manual cold start)primer valve closes clockwise and will seat with the lever inline with the body of the solenoid.If your key primer electircally malfunctions for whatever reason the red one at the solenoid can be used by opening it up (counter clockwise intil it stops ,which will be perpendicular to the solenoid body.The manual cold start procedure should be preceded by pumping the fuel primer bulb until firm.Just like the normal cold start using the key primer.

Note: If the manual (cold start)primer is not seated clockwise to its stop ,it will cause a rich fuel mixture that will cause engine flooding while operating.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2

SS140

Banned

Im guna hijack this post, it's old anyways. I thought it was easier to use this as a refernece to my problem now. Im beginning to think my primer solenoid is bad, causing all three carbs to flood. When I turn my knob clockwise 180, so it's not in the normal operating position it'll leak fuel out and shut off.

However, looking at the thing taken apart, the normal position shows the valve open allowing fuel to travel through to the 2 little hoses. I'de take pics but my camera is dead.

Maybe buying a new one is replacing it would be the option, but is there a way to test this? Maybe a test light, but where?

Thanks a lot guys!

tashasdaddy

if the solenoid stlll click, they make a kit for the valve.

SS140

Banned

yeah it clicks, its the red vavle when you turn it, the little plastic white pin thing inside that has a point on it rubs the red valve.

Fuel is spraying out of #15 in http://www.boats.net/_search/images/parts_brp/4143289314.png on all three. When I shut it off, it still drains fuel out of the carbs, even if it's tilted all the way down. The carbs are soaked in fuel. It's a effing MESS.

Help.. HELP! PLEASE lol

THANKS

tashasdaddy

the venturi under # 5 may be clogged that is where the fuel is suppose to go, to get to the intake. you should not have to turn the red knob, unless the battery is dead, and you have to rope start the motor.

SS140

Banned

Ill check them out TD, let you know my results.

I bet the guy who rebuilt these did it wrong. Because like Ive said before, everything Ive fixed so far has been things that the previous owner tried to fix.

The previous owner was clueless or lazy. Cause there is a different size screw with different heads all over the places. It sucks... The air box has like 11 different kinds of screws in it, well NOT anymore. I beleive in doing things the right way and if u you cant learn how to do it right dont do it.

Thanks a bunch for the continued help, we'll get this thing solved and Ill be such a happy man!

odey1981

Recruit

I have a 70hp evinrude that will not start unless you turn the manual lever on the primer. I had my carbs rebuilt about 6 months ago and they are already leaking out the front of all three. I run the carbs empty everytime I use it. Motor will not start unless you turn the manual lever then turn it back. Then turn the key and it fires right off and runs perfect. Is the a carb issue or a problem with the electric primer? Would primer failure cause the carbs to flood and leak?