Johnson 175 hp alarm

mnilsen

Cadet
I have a 1989 175 hp johnson. I just replaced the water pump, thermostats a coil, all spark plugs and wires, new battery and replaced the fuel/VRO pump last year. Engine is idling fine but when i bring her up to speed i am getting an alarm. Water pump is working fine so its not overheating.

One thing i have noticed is at idle the Tach is working but as i bring her up it drops to zero, so around maybe 2000 rpms the alarm goes off. I have heard that it could be the rectifier regulator? But if it is, would i get an alarm? if not that any other suggestion??? Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 175 hp alarm

These two issues are probably not related. Your engine should have a vacuum switch. If it senses a problem with the fuel supply, it will also sound a constant horn, just like an overheat. See your service manual for troubleshooting it. The tach issue is probably related to the rectifier/regulator. If your tach is erratic, you also probably are not charging the battery-as both are driven from the rectifier/regulator. Check your volt gauge in the boat, it may show normal battery voltage or less the whole time you run it. Under normal operation, it should charge the battery and climb to around 13.5 volts after running it for a while. It's around $ 300.

mnilsen

Cadet

Thanks ill check out the vacuum switch. The tach im not to concerned about. Its the alarm the is getting to me

jonesg

Admiral

...but you could be frying your battery if the regulator is gone.
try a meter across the battery terminals at higher rpms to check what its getting from the stator.

mnilsen

Cadet

oh ok, didnt realize that. I will be checking it out either today or tomorrow. One more thing, is the rectifier under the fly wheel just to the aft. The manual didnt really show. Thanks again

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have an 1988 GT 150 and i had the same problem, found out it was the fuel pickup tube was plugged pretty good. Usually the constant alarm is fuel restriction or no oil.

mnilsen

Cadet

The alrm is one sec on one sec off. I have a mech comin out to troubleshoot it today. hopefully it wont cost to much $$$$.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I may have misunderstood your description of the alarm-as being a constant alarm. The intermittent alarm (a 1/2 second beep every 20 seconds) is an indication that the oil tank is low on oil. You could also have a defective horn.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I may have misunderstood your description of the alarm-as being a constant alarm. The intermittent alarm (a 1/2 second beep every 20 seconds) is an indication that the oil tank is low on oil. You could also have a defective horn.

Or defective oil tank level sensor.

mnilsen

Cadet

The alarm is a one sec on one sec of. I read in the manual that it was a no oil alarm. I have plenty of oil in the tank and at idle she is smoking a bit which leads me to belive that its getting oil at low RPMs.

I did have a wench take a look and i had a kinked fuel line which may have been the problem with the alarm. I do have a bad Voltage regulator which i will be changing out, but i also am getting water in the #6 cylinder. Maybe blown head gasket?? I will be pulling the boats so he can further check it out.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible that you have a bad head gasket. Mine leaked from the exhaust area. When you have a water leak into the exhaust area, it seems to affect #6, being the lowest. You need to have a look at this, as water will get forced back into the combustion area, where you don't want it-onto machined parts. After much consternation with exactly the same problem, I found the inner exhaust cover had casting porosity, leaking a lot of water from the jacket back into the exhaust chest and into #6. A few minutes with an aluminum welder and it was ready to go.

mnilsen

Cadet

Thanks for everyone input. I am pulling the boat tomorrow and checking it out early next week. Hopefully it wont to too big of a problem. Thanks

mnilsen

Cadet

Well after all is said and done it was the Head gaskets that was allowing water into the cylinder, also the regulator was shot. Had them changed and the boat is running great. Hopefully i will get a couple more years out of her. Thanks for all the replies!

Speakrdude

Ensign

My problem is similar except mine IS the Steady alarm. Turn the key on, get the single beep, all clear sound, and then the steady alarm comes up and stays on even before starting the engine. Pulled the connections to the temp sensors on the heads, no change. There is a Blk/tan wire pair, coming from the engine wire bundle, the is heading back into the bilge, that if you disconnect the black or the tan wire, the alarm shuts off. The single "all clear" beep is still working when you key on however. This tells me I am getting close. Looks like it may be heading into the oil tank, but that should be an on/off beep right?

My engine is 1994 Johnson 150 Ranger Fast Strike

jonesg

Admiral

My problem is similar except mine IS the Steady alarm. Turn the key on, get the single beep, all clear sound, and then the steady alarm comes up and stays on even before starting the engine. Pulled the connections to the temp sensors on the heads, no change. There is a Blk/tan wire pair, coming from the engine wire bundle, the is heading back into the bilge, that if you disconnect the black or the tan wire, the alarm shuts off. The single "all clear" beep is still working when you key on however. This tells me I am getting close. Looks like it may be heading into the oil tank, but that should be an on/off beep right?

My engine is 1994 Johnson 150 Ranger Fast Strike

Start a new thread for lots of expert help.
Include model number.:)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

His questions have been answered at Marine Engines.com