Johnson Sailmaster motor conversion to short shaft

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
I own a 1993 Johnson Sailmaster outboard engine. I no longer own a sailboat and plan to use this motor on a dinghy and rowboat but i would like to make it a short shaft so i can plane/create less drag.
My question(s) are Is it a big deal to make a longshaft into a short shaft? I've heard you just need to buy a few parts. What parts would i need and about how much would it cost? Is it a do it yourself job?
Thanks

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Johnson Sailmaster motor conversion to short shaft

You can do it, for sure, but it'll cost a bit. New driveshaft will be the main expense.

Another option is to try to work a swap for another one from the same period with a short shaft. Lots of people looking for long shafts for kickers and sailboats, and they're actually in pretty high demand. Craig's List might turn up a straight-across swap for another one in great condition.

Your model is pretty much identical, including cowling, with the ones from 1992 on through the rest of the 1990s. Before 1992, they were still making the ones with the slanted cowling and a different ignition system.

It's up to you, though. All the parts are available.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson Sailmaster motor conversion to short shaft

Hmm I'll consider that i suppose
I read i need to replace the shifte, driveshaft and watertubes and get a set of seals
All those parts brand new cost $300
Or i could attempt to find them used i suppose