Troubleshooting 1991 evinrude 25hp

barry light

Cadet
Engine starts and runs well, when first unloading boat at lake. Will run wide open for maybe 15 minutes to fishing hole. When ready to restart and go to another area of fishing, motor starts and runs well wide open for about 5 minutes, then it just shuts down. It will restart, but will only run at idle speed.
This has happened everytime the last few outings. I have the service manual, and have eliminated fuel problems, and it is not overheating ( engine did overheat one time about 15 years ago). Friend had same problem with large hp motor and it was stator problem. The service manual has several tests for coils, stator, rectifier, etc. Could the problem be anyone of these electrical items, or could it be more specific to one?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Troubleshooting 1991 evinrude 25hp

Fuel bulb staying hard ??
Done a spark test when it acts up ??

barry light

Cadet

It's not the fuel bulb or a fuel problem. I have checked everything regarding a fuel problem, from carb to the fuel line O rings. When the engine goes into its slow speed as mentioned, it stays slow until I get back to the boat ramp and load up. I can never get it to act up in a tank. I check out different things at home, next time I go to lake and it acts up the same way ( done this several times). Runs great for 15 to 20 minutes, I shut down to fish, start back up, and after running great, starts problem again. I have to spend another 30 minutes getting back to the boat ramp at idle. If I try to give it some throttle, it goes dead every time. It's got to me electrical. I would have to do the spark test on the water when the problem arises. I would like to try and figure it out before...Thanks for your help!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It's not the fuel bulb or a fuel problem. I have checked everything regarding a fuel problem, from carb to the fuel line O rings. When the engine goes into its slow speed as mentioned, it stays slow until I get back to the boat ramp and load up. I can never get it to act up in a tank. I check out different things at home, next time I go to lake and it acts up the same way ( done this several times). Runs great for 15 to 20 minutes, I shut down to fish, start back up, and after running great, starts problem again. I have to spend another 30 minutes getting back to the boat ramp at idle. If I try to give it some throttle, it goes dead every time. It's got to me electrical. I would have to do the spark test on the water when the problem arises. I would like to try and figure it out before...Thanks for your help!
Do the spark test at home and then do it when it acts up. Don't go to far from the dock so you can get back easily and do the spark test again and compare.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take a spark tester with you, or an induction timing light. when it mess's up, check spark then, don't wait to get back to the dock. could be dropping a coil.