'68 55hp Johnson sensors

Nate2o1

Recruit
Hi I have a 1968 Johnson 55hp motor model # TR-10R. Is there a repair manual that shows how to test each individual sensor on the motor? My repair manual does not show specs such as Ohm resistance or Voltage requirements. Im tryin to test all my sensors such as the temp switch, safety switch, stator, rectifire, shift solenoid assembly, choke solenoid, vacuum switch, thermo switch and any other switches or sensors i missed. This motor is on a stand is currently running. I got this motor on a 15 foot fibuglas boat that seems like its in good shape and im tryin to get this motor running. the last owner informed me that it last run bout 4 years ago but the engine wire harness are completely disintigrated so i am in the process of rewiring the engine and would like to test all sensors and swithches before moving on. I already went over the mechanics of the engine and everything looks great.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: '68 55hp Johnson sensors

I would start with an OEM service manual. You can surf the net for sites that sell them - thre are quite a few. Take a look at EBay too, since it is often a source for such manuals at very low prices.