What age is my 4HP Johnson?

dajome

Recruit
I have just obtained an old Johnson 4HP 2 cyl outboard, model J4BRCNR, s/n B020136. Can anyone tell me what year it was made so I can get hold of a manual. Any recommendations for manuals for newbies, etc would also be useful.
Many thanks
Dave

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: What age is my 4HP Johnson?

Johnson
4 HP
Euro model
Rope start
1982 vintage

Hope this helps.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Looks like i was beaten to it by one minute !!!!
Anyway welcome to iboats

An OEM manual is the best in my opinion.

dajome

Recruit

Thanks for your replies folks, next step is to source a manual so I can check it over and service it. It hasn't been used for at least 2 years so any advice welcome.
One question - is there any major difference (apart from price!!) between 2-stroke marine oil and ordinary 2-stroke oil?
Thanks
Dave

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Use only TCW-3 rated outboard motor oil. TCW-3 is designed for water-cooled outboards. The other stuff is for air cooled stuff like weed-whackers and chainsaws, and is designed for much higher temperatures.

Rick.

Captain

Check the 'TOP Secret File" at the top of this forum. Lots of info. about getting your motor back in shape and in the water. Ebay is where I get my manuals. Make sure to get OMC original for your year and model. Avoid CD's. There is a big difference in the outboard oil and that's what you should use. TCW3 -- 50:1 mix. Great little motor. Make certain you put a new impeller in it. Check out the link below for a parts break down. Best of luck. Rick.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f