1991 60hp Johnson Misfire

renvette2

Seaman Apprentice
My 1991 60hp Johnson has begun to misfire. It started about 3 weeks ago. I have replaced the spark plugs, but no improvement. It starts and idles fine, but when I get up to about 20 or 25mph, the misfiring begins. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 60hp Johnson Misfire

Welcome. what do you mean by misfire, do it go bang like a gun? or just sputter, like it is not gaining rpms? surely sounds like clogged high speed jets in the carbs. read cleaning carbs in the TOP SECRET FILE, the 1st thread in this forum.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

If the carb. is not the problem, suspect a blown head gasket. Getting water into the combustion chamber will cause misfire, "this happened to me" anyhow I hope it is only a carb problem...

renvette2

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome. what do you mean by misfire, do it go bang like a gun? or just sputter, like it is not gaining rpms? surely sounds like clogged high speed jets in the carbs. read cleaning carbs in the TOP SECRET FILE, the 1st thread in this forum.

When I'm running WTO, the engine jerks and then it appears I lose power in one cylinder.