1950 Evinrude 3.3 Sportwin

I just bought a 1950 Sportwin off of craigslist, it's my first outboard motor seeing how I'm only 20 but I am pretty handy with motors. At first I fixed a fuel leak on a plug on the bottom of the tank, now that I have fuel that far I noticed a leak out of the primer. Is this hard to fix? I decided to see if i could get it to fire even with the leak. I pulled my dad out into the garage with me and with all the adjustments we didn't know what to set them at, after a few tired arms we got it to sputter a little bit. Ate dinner came back out, primed it and gave it one pull and she started right up but died quickly. shortly after I found out that I could push the prime button to keep it running. Do these things have a fuel pump or a pressurized tank. I have two fuel lines but one just kinda leads to no where....maybe that's the reason? I don't know. Any help would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Also pictures to come, the guy I bought it from just got done painting it, It looks really nice.

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 1950 Evinrude 3.3 Sportwin

I have three of those right now. You don't have two fuel lines you have one fuel line on the starboard side. The line on the port is a vent that runs to the carb. The primer cups for those are na. The carb needs to come apart and be cleaned. The adjustment on those is kinda tricky. On the starboard side you will find a rod that hooks to the carb and runs back to an air silencer. The rod is adjustable and that is your air mix adjustment. The fuel mix adjustment for idle is a screw on the linkage for the shutter. By adjusting the screw it opens or closes the shutter a bit to let more or less fuel in. The high speed adjustment is the large knob above the primer button. Here is a diagram courtesy of Garry over at AOMCI

4423Carb.jpg

Re: 1950 Evinrude 3.3 Sportwin

Wow thanks guys, that was quick with a reply! This will definitely help out, can't thank you enough. I thought with a motor this old I might be out of luck finding help with it. I will definitely be running around on these forums from now on checking stuff out and adding my two cents worth, if it's ever needed...lol