remove cowling old evinrude 7.5 fleettwin

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello i picked up an old evinrude to fool around with how does the motor cover come off it looks like the upper (low speed) mixture knob has to be removed and the screw head split on me is there an easy way that i am not seeing ? dumb question but there must be another way thanks

freddyray21

Commander
Re: remove cowling old evinrude 7.5 fleettwin

need to know year. they changed the cowlings from year to year

freddyray21

Commander

you should only have to take the choke off to get that cowl off. The cowl folds up in the middle. the one side will come off by itself and the other if you take the choke knob off it will come off. The cowl has a large enough hole to let the needles through.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I do believe the upper knob has to come off to get the cowl off. And the choke knob.

You can simply unscrew the needle all the way out and then remove the cowl. You can deal with the broken screw better with the needle out of the carburetor anyway. Once you have the needle out, you probably can press the needle out of the knob, screw and all. (Assuming you can't get ahold of it with a vice-grips or something.) Once the knob is off, the screw should come out pretty easy.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

the mixture screw only turns about half a turn either direction then i would be forcing it to turn out anymore but it does have to come out to get the cowling off the choke also which i have off just don't know how to back out the upper mixture as the needle screw split from never being removed and not knowing it was that frozen when i tried to remove i may have to cut a notch into cowling to slip off ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oops, I forgot about that little brass arm that stops the knob from going all the way around. It's missing on probably 50% of the motors by now anyway.

Ok, I just went out and looked at one of my motors. The stop arm is inaccessable or I would say to remove it. So it looks like you have a couple of options. One would be to force the knob past the arm and go ahead and turn it out. That would be my first choice. If that fails, get in between the hood and carburetor with a hacksaw blade and cut the needle in two. Pretty drastic, but I would sacrifice the needle before sacrificing the hood. I have a spare needle if it comes to that.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

the brass arm is still there this removed will let the needle screw out ? i may just cut a notch into the cowling it's seen better days otherwise the motor looks untouched just stiff from sitting a long time. thanks F_R