help I.D. older evinrude

jjd78

Cadet
hello everyone

i just was given a boat with an older 85 hp evinrude starflight, i'm tring to figure out the year and all i have is the serial number 10005192 can anyone help me?

thanks a bunch
jason

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: help I.D. older evinrude

That's a serial number. There should be a model number on a small plate along with that serial number attached to the port (left) transom bracket. Also look for a small quarter size core plug on top of the powerhead, usually near the port (left) cylinder head.

The model number is what is needed to determine exactly what that engine is.

jjd78

Cadet

thanks
i'm not picking the boat up till sunday.. so i'll have to look then.... the funny part is i cab't even find any info about the boat either... i know the make and year but i can't track anything down on the net.... its and 1982 18' lynncraft,deep V hull.... the only lynncraft i can find was last built in 1979 and called a lyn-craft. Ohh well i'm just happy to have a boat to take my boys out on.....

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could your boat possibly be a 1979 that wasn't titled until 1982?

jjd78

Cadet

it might be but the vin number does state that its a 82 model.... who knows... i'll look at the vin plate more closely... i've only just looked at the title....

jjd78

Cadet

well i picked up the boat today!!!! and the model number is 85493B... So i'm assuming its an 1984 model.... does any one now anything i should be looking at as far as problems? i am planning in replacing the impeller and changing the upper and low fluids... i did notice oil on the fin at teh bottom... is there a seal behind the prop i should replace? BTW i am handy but i have never worked on an outboard before, cars motors yes but outboards no!!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Model number 85493B indicates that the engine is a 1974 (not 1984) 85hp Evinrude.

jjd78

Cadet

i'm sorry.... that what i ment.... 74... not sure how the "8" got there.... thanks for all your help...