2000 90 HP Johnson Optical Ignition.... No Spark!!! HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriegel

Cadet
Ok let me give the quick background. This is a 2000 Johnson 4 cylinder 90 HP 60 degree Optical Ignition. Last year we ran into an issue with the motor not wanting to go over 2500 RPM's even at full throttle.... Troubleshot the motor and traced the problem back to one of the coils which we replaced along with the power pack! Problem fixed engine ran great all summer! Now this year we prepared to take our first trip motor ran everything good.
Last Weekend ran 7 miles offshore and trolled for about three hours, after going in and out of idle for about 30 minutes while fighting a fish we started back to troll speed 5 Minutes later motor powered down! No Spark we tried and tried but to no avail! We got it to come back on one time for about 30 seconds after wiggling the wiring on the key switch, but she shut off again. Got home after a tow and went to work we made all our checks.....

Kill Wire good Triple checked as good, we even disconnected it at the motor no cigar.

Engine Rotation is good

All wires to coils and powerpack good

Checked yellow/red good voltage

Checked sensor wheel but no damage, Sensors look good but i donts have oscilloscope to check

Disconnected regulator no change

Checked Flywheel and magnets all is good

Went thru everything we got to the stator check and found good resistance on brown -brown/white and oranges.... Also had good voltage on Oranges, but browns we could not get any voltage where we should have 130V-150V

Took stator out and it had been melting on bottom. Black substance that was now hard as rock was coming out, all charge coils looked good, but the other coils were melting so we replaced the stator

Cranked her up....... No cigar!!!

I'm really frustrated at this point and any help would be appreciated??????????? Is it the Sensor or maybe both coils are bad, but that doesnt explain no high voltage from stator!!!!

It was weird how the motor ran fine and suddenly quit!!! I'm really scratching my head here fellas!

kriegel

Cadet
Re: 2000 90 HP Johnson Optical Ignition.... No Spark!!! HELP!!!!!

yes......, like I said I traced it back to stator...... Ohms and 12 Volt good on Oranges, Ohms good on Browns but no Volts when you are supposed to have 130V

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you are checking the voltage output from the stator correctly, and you have 0, the new stator or wires are bad.

kriegel

Cadet

OK...... But I've tried a 100% good stator on this and same thing good ohms and volts on orange good ohms on browns and no volts on brown....... Is this the Optical Sensor????????? I'ts basically the last thing I'm down to!!!!! I looked at the bottom thru the green see through like seal and there are a bunch of white looking spots that I think is corrosion...........

kriegel

Cadet

If I change the Sensor that will be........ new stator, new powerpack, new coils, and new sensor which will be the entire ignition system................ where else could I have a problem which is what keeps leading me back to sensor

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

yes......, like I said I traced it back to stator...... Ohms and 12 Volt good on Oranges, Ohms good on Browns but no Volts when you are supposed to have 130V

And after installing a NEW stator you STILL have NO OUTPUT on the browns?

Disconnect the switchbox and retest the new stator.

The optical sensor is only the trigger for the switchbox, it has nothing to do with the stator output.

An internal ground in the switchbox CAN make the stator overheat and die, and a new stator LOOK like no output.

kriegel

Cadet

Rechecked Stator and got the voltage!!!! But still no spark...... went to the next set of checks on the power pack and cant get voltage on the orange blue, orange, and orange green...... Power Pack is good I'm using two different ones and they both are operational........ Back to my same ??????? Is this the sensor???????????????

reeldutch

Lieutenant

first thing i would do before replacing more parts is
seperate the boat from the motor.

eliminate the keyswitch.

unplug the wiring harnas and crank her over check for spark.

i know you checked the kill switch circuit, doesnt mean your keyswitch or lanyard or neutral safetyswitch are good.

thats just the first thing i would do before spending money on parts.

also check the harnas for continuity.
wire for wire.

and yes it could be the sensor bud it could be something else too.

i

Xray4

Cadet
What was it? I wish original posters would come back and close threads. Did you find the fix?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What was it? I wish original posters would come back and close threads. Did you find the fix?

I wish posters would stop posting in 11 year old threads. Want answers, then start following the thread you started.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.