28 hp evinrude will not turn over

jujubeadz

Recruit
I had the boat sitting for about 4 months. Decided to stick it in the water and start it up.

Started fine, ran for about 10 -15 minutes. Then I shut it down, went to start back up and nothing.

Now, when the key is turned nothing happens. I have it in neutral, kill switch seems ok.

Battery is most likly no good, so I tried jumping it, but still will not even turn over.

Any thoughts

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 28 hp evinrude will not turn over

Make sure all connections are tight at engine, and battery. Don't use wing nuts on battery, stainless, or brass nuts. If that don't work, ground neutral start switch wire to engine block, or run jumper wires direct to starter

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

By not turning over, do you mean the starter motor isn't working or that the engine itself is locked up, .ie not turning over, even by hand?

jujubeadz

Recruit

It will not do anything when the key is turned, starter will not engage, just nothing. I can turn the flywheel and feel it has compression, nothing seems locked.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

look for an inline fuse near the starter solenoid, it fuses the starting circuit.

jujubeadz

Recruit

It did not look blown, should I try changing it anyway?

lindy46

Captain

Make sure all cables are clean and shiny. Corroded connections are the most likely cause of starter not turning. Once connections are clean and you have a good battery try it again. If it doesn't kick over then, it is most likely the starter or the solenoid. Solenoid should click if it's working.