Difference between ken cook manual and seloc?

out2c

Cadet
Wanting to tune and replace gaskets on a 1965 75hp johnson super sea horse motor...which is recomended between the two publications?

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Difference between ken cook manual and seloc?

The manuals at www.outboardbooks.com (Ken Cook co.) are reprints of the OEM service manuals. That's what you want.

I've never used the seloc manuals, but I've heard they're far inferior to the OEM manuals.

CATransplant

Admiral

The Ken Cook manuals are the OEM manuals. They're very good for working on your outboard.

The SELOC manuals are very good for putting your coffee cup on so you don't get stains on your workbench.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, I also find that if I open the SELOC manual and lay it on the bench or a boat seat, I can put oily parts on it and they tend to roll to the center of the opened book, where I can find them later, after referring to the OEM manual. It also keeps the oil off my seats or deck.

NOTE: SELOC manuals are better than no manual at all. They're adequate for normal maintenance and common servicing. However, if you're going to be doing much more than that, they aren't nearly as good as the OEM manuals. I jest about them, but I do have one for one of my outboards.

jonesg

Admiral

Wanting to tune and replace gaskets on a 1965 75hp johnson super sea horse motor...which is recomended between the two publications?

no contest, I have both, the seloc was a waste of money.
The factory service manual is very clear, its all step by step photos.

My seloc talks about 6 different outboards on the same page, thats every page...just try following that , and the photos look like zerox darkroom pics.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

seloc, is just a way to get your money, then you are unhappy, and buy the real thing.

eavega

Lieutenant

Like the previous posters have said, the seloc is better than nothing at all, but if you are going to do any serious wrenching on the motor, you have to get the OEM manual.

I bought an OEM manual online in digital format for my 10 HP Johnson. The seller actually threw in the SELOC manual for free!

-Eric