1973 Johnson 25 Hp Push button Ignition Installation

Kaffer62

Recruit
I have a 1973 johnson 25 hp outboard, which is the electric start model... my father is getting on the older side and really doesnt like pulling on the cord any longer. Instead of an ignition switch, I was looking a just installing a push button. I have the manuel but just wanted to get some opinions. As far as I can tell, I run the positive and negative wires as the diagram shows, and then the two wires from the push button to the correct solonoid positions....

I looked at a later model's wiring diagram with a push button and looked how it was wired to the solonoid.

Does this sound correct??? If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this system, I would love to hear any feedback... Thank you for all of your time.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Johnson 25 Hp Push button Ignition Installation

I'm confused, why don't you want to use an ignition switch? Then you would be able to stop it too.

Anyhoo, if you insist, a starter button would go between the big nut on the battery side of the solenoid and the first small terminal on the solenoid. The second small terminal is grounded, or grounded through a safety switch, whichever applies to that model. Remaining big nut goes to the starter.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

startersolenoid001.jpg

ditchen

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 72 Johnson 25hp that has the electric start. It was set up for the remote cable asm on a pontoon and used 6pin plug. I am all for the magic button start :)

I am rigging on my jon boat; I just added a aluminum plate where the steering cable mounts and installed 2 sealed push button switches that were obtained from the local auto parts store. 1 for the start and 1 for the kill. Did not really need to use the electric choke seeing that the buttons are only a few inches away from the manual choke lever.

Kaffer62

Recruit

well its on a 14' aluminum, and there is a kill switch in the tiller handle anyways....it was never wired to an ignition switch and i was just looking for an easier way to start it, Thank you for the diagram, That was the idea I got from the manuel.... I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing before actually doing it....

wbeaton

Commander

I added a start button on my 30 hp when I converted it to tiller steering. Pretty much as shown above. Use a good weather proof button. I used a spare OMC button I had.

Kaffer62

Recruit

Now since the motor itself was set up with a starter from the factory, does it come with a netural safty switch or something to that nature, that wont allow it to crank while it is in gear???

tashasdaddy

motors back then did not have neutral safety switch, they use the 2 handle controller, with a separate dash switch,

ditchen

Seaman Apprentice

my 72 25hp does.

The switch is mounted on the motor and not in the controls.

If you like, I could post a pic.

tashasdaddy

please post the picture.

ditchen

Seaman Apprentice

please post the picture.

taken pics now,,,post in a few mins

edit:maybee a few extra mins. Slow pc in the shop and official EST beer break rule in effect:rolleyes: