Mercury gas tank for a Johnson?

C-worthy

Cadet
Hi,

I have a new-to-me 1978 Johnson 6 hp I bought without a gas tank. I have two gas tanks available: a big Evinrude Cruise-a-day tank and a 2.5 gallon Mercury tank. I like the Mercury tank's size and can easily adapt the hose to connect to the Johnson motor.

I've read about Cruise-a-day tanks being "pressurized" though. What does that mean? Unlike the Mercury tank, the connector on the Cruise-a-day tank has two spring-loaded pins and doesn't seem to have a vent. Do the spring-loaded pins on the Cruise-a-day have to do with venting? Can I use either of these tanks with the Johnson motor?

Thanks,

Brian

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury gas tank for a Johnson?

cruse a day is for 1950's motors, the tank is considered valuable, up to 100 if in good shape, it will not work with your motor, a tank is a tank, just need the primer blub, and the correct end fittings, i have used several merc tanks on J/E's.

wbeaton

Commander

The Evinrude tank is absolutely no good to you. Sell it or buy a 1950's Johnson/Evinrude and use it.

C-worthy

Cadet

Thanks both of you for the answers. I'm not trying to belabor the question, just trying to learn.

The fuel connector from the '78 Johnson clicks onto this Cruis-a-day tank connector. How did you conclude the tank is not compatible with the '78 motor, is from the 50's instead, and may be valuable? (I hope you're right about that).

I see a lot of Cruis-a-day tanks on e-bay for much less than $100. What would I look for in a 1978 tank that's different from what I have?

Thanks again

Brian

reelfishin

Captain

Does your Cruise A Day tank have a pump on it and a return line?

I've seen quite a few tanks marked Evinrude Cruise A Day that weren't pressure tanks. I've always just figured that they called all of them Cruise A Day back then? My two 1958 FD-12 motors with pressure tanks do not say Cruise A Day on the side though.

Here's one I found on line which may be what the OP has:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2emfzvs.jpg

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tank we have for our maroon 71/2 is pressurized and does not a quick connect on the tank side the double fuel line is attached to the tank. The pressurized tank also has a threaded gas cap instead of the quarter turn bayonet type of the new style.
jamie

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

does the cruise a day have 3 pins, 2 lines and a pin that holds the clip. if so that is a pressurized tank. you pump the button and that forces gas to the motor thur the gas line, when the motor starts it sends air into the tank, by the air line, forcing gas to the motor.

the 6 hp only has one fuel line, the connector has a line connection and the clamp pin. the motor has a fuel pump that sucks gas from the tank, the vent on the tank has to be open for the motor to suck gas.

C-worthy

Cadet

Yes, it looks a lot like that photo except the hose connection/pick-up is mounted at 45 degrees to the axis of the tank, the label paint is mostly scratched off and one of the tabs for winding the hose around is missing. On the plus side, it's nice and clean inside.

It doesn't have hoses or pump of it's own so it sounds like a run-of-the-mill $10 - $20 tank.

Brian

C-worthy

Cadet

I need to figure out how to post a picture of the connection on this tank.

wbeaton

Commander

I think you threw us when you mentioned that it might be a pressure tank. A good pressure tank will run between $30-100. Cruis-a-day is just an Evinrude trademark. If the fuel line connector fits your 1978 then its not a pressure tank. Does one of the prongs on the fuel connector have a spring loaded pin in it and the other is of a larger size? If so then you have an ordinary vented tank. It will work with the 1978. If the tank has a silver plunger or black button on top, a three prong fuel connector and a double line hose then you have a pressure tank. I suspect you don't have a pressure tank now that I've reread your post.

C-worthy

Cadet

I still didn't get a picture taken but here is a description of the connection on the tank:

It has FIVE pins, not four as I thought.

Pin #1 is solid, about 3/4" long by 3/16" diameter, it has a groove and a tapered arrow point end. The '78 connector clips onto the groove on this pin.
Pin #2 is solid, about 3/4" long by 3/16" diameter, no grooves, I didn't see any holes and the end is straight with no taper or arrow point.
Pin #3 is hollow, shorter and about 3/16" diameter, with holes in it, presumably for the fuel.
Pins #4 & #5 are very small and the same, side-by-side, maybe 5/16" long and 1/16" diameter, these two are spring-loaded.

It also has a cork float on a rod for the clear glass gauge. Does this sound like a pressure tank or an ordinary tank? Why so many pins? Do all these pins mean anything unique about it's age or use?

Thanks again for having patience with a newguy!

reelfishin

Captain

Gonna need a pic for that one then.
There were some tanks made which had separate oil tanks built in, there was also one that premixed the fuel. Post a pic so someone can ID that tank and fitting.