Evinrude Regulator Question

MassBassin

Cadet
Hello I have a 1980 35hp evinrude with electric start. Does anyone know if there Is a voltage regulator on this motor? I measured the voltage and as I increased the rpm the output exceeded 20V! Im afraid to hook up my battery to it because i believe this voltage is way too high. Is this normal on this motor? Thanks

Jason

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Regulator Question

Hello I have a 1980 35hp evinrude with electric start. Does anyone know if there Is a voltage regulator on this motor? I measured the voltage and as I increased the rpm the output exceeded 20V! Im afraid to hook up my battery to it because i believe this voltage is way too high. Is this normal on this motor? Thanks

Jason

What do you mean you are afraid to hook up the battery? Are you saying the high voltage was while the battery was disconnected? Don't do that!!!! Never run it with the battery disconnected. Under that condition the voltage will go out of sight and if high enough will blow the rectifier. But after the rectifier blows, you won't have a high voltage problem anymore. In fact you won't have any voltage. I'd be surprised if you haven't already blown it. $$$$

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

A very pessimistic view by FR.

I'd be very disappointed if the rectifier was of such a poor specification that running it with no battery connected blew it. That is something that is bound to be done with a rope start engine (happens to mine every year when I flush it at the end of the season and tank test it before the start of the next season.)

Now disconnecting the battery while it is running is different. That can create a big surge in the volts that can blow it.

Anyway any doubts about it test it according to Joe Reeves article on the Engine FAQs board http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=190638
BUT if you use a digital multimeter use it on the "diodes test" range as they often do not work satisfactorily for diode testing on the Ohms ranges.

Don't worry about the 20 volts you see when not connected. Once it is under load that will drop. The only suggestion I might make is to use a flooded lead acid battery that you can top up if it should become necessary.

If you are really that unhappy by all means buy and fit a suitable regulator!

MassBassin

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. I checked the voltage b4 hooking up the battery to ensure i wouldnt damage it. I will do another test today with the battery connected. If the voltage still seems high I will look into a regulator. Thanks Again!