slow mode question - Johnson 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone here know much about slow mode. Johnson motor. I can avoid my motor shutting off by pressing my choke. Someone told me if your in "slow mode" for real you can NOT keep your boat running with the choke. true or false ?

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
Re: slow mode question - Johnson 90

My reasons for asking is....I was just interested in the choke thing so I could rule out the motor being in slow mode. Because I can indeed keep my boat going by pressing choke, having said that, if someone knew for a fact then i could troubleshoot fuel related or something else.

So, has anyone ever been in slow mode and pressed thier choke when thier motor wanted to cut off? Did it keep your boat running?

jonesg

Admiral

I find its easier to get help by first posting the pertinent information.

Yr, model # and hp.
Then ... the symptoms.

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice

Pertinent information
johnson 1997 model j90tsleua

symptom: Boat will shut off when I accelerate. Idling is fine and slow speeds is ok. Wanted to know if other boaters could keep thier boats running when it was in slow mode by choking, because I can keep mine running by tapping the choke. Not saying it is in slow mode but trying to rule that out.

Summary
Once an expert tells me that the choke will not keep a boat running in slow mode , then I will rebuilb my carb. Ive read stories on here of boaters spending oooodles only to find the mechanic missed the fact the boat was in slow mode. Id like to rule out slow mode.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The slow system is activated by either of the two temp senders-one in each head. When an overheat is sensed by either sensor, the power pack limits rpms to 2500 rpm. To insure that these temp senders are not sending an incorrect signal, you can temporarily disconnect both by uncoupling the knife connector at each sender- effectively eliminating them from the system. If your problem persists, you should also test for a weak fuel pump.

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice

The fix for this was

"rebuilt both carbs"

jets were clogged. sorry so late to post resolution

jonesg

Admiral

Thanks for posting back, thats how this thing works.;)

Kylerobbins

Cadet
Hey I think I'm having a problem with S.L.O.W on my 2001 Johnson 80/65, when I launch my boat with trim all the way down and full throttle it will run at about 2200-2500 and shakes real bad, but when I pull the motor up to where my foot or shoe, whatever you prefer, the boat will idle up fine and take off until the motor is under a load again, I've checked each cylinder and everything seems to be fine, I'm stumped and any input would help. Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Kyle, You may want to create your own post for your engine's issues. It's easier for us to comment on one person's engine problems, instead of mixing answers to two different engines in the same thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.