Johnson 8 hp in salt water ?

xrunner

Cadet
I purchased Johnson 8 hp made in belgium '86 that acording to previous owner was used once in salt Florida waters. He claims that he flushed it with fresh water after use, is that enough or is there anything else I could do to it, considering that was years ago ? Motor has great even ( on both cilinders) commpresion and starts easily. Anyone has some advice how to treat it (now or in similar situation in future) plase respond...thanks much and regards

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 8 hp in salt water ?

mount it, launch it, start it, fish, come home and flush it, just preventive maintance.

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

like td said mount it and run it, just flush it after use in salt water

CATransplant

Admiral

Agree. Those have anodes on them, too. They're widely used on sailboats as auxiliary power, and are OK in salt water, as long as you flush 'em out every time.

xrunner

Cadet

Thanks a lot everyone, still kind of unclear, what about outboards that are used only in salt waters and sitting mounted on the boats in marina...every use you should take the motor out and run it in a fresh weater can? Or they wont last more then few years ?

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

salt water= corrosion, itll eat any engine up its just a matter of time.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks a lot everyone, still kind of unclear, what about outboards that are used only in salt waters and sitting mounted on the boats in marina...every use you should take the motor out and run it in a fresh weater can? Or they wont last more then few years ?

Very few motors ever get flushed, and as you would expect those are trailered and taken home. And as you would expect, they don't last anywhere near as long as fresh-water motors and are a PIA to work on. Just a fact of life and the price you pay. Flushing and anodes and salt removal potions make you feel good, but corrosion marches forward anyway. Just my 2c.

xrunner

Cadet

Considering everything that was said before, did I make a mistake purchising a 23 yrs old motor that was used in salt waters and hopefully flushed after ? Is there an way to inspect if there is any corosion and amounts of it ? Like I said motor looks like it didnt see much use, starts on first or second pull...so cosmeticaly it's a beauty. Thanks again you people...

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Belgian made 1984 6hp Yachtwin (bought new1985). Pretty similar to your '86 8hp.
Always used on saltwater, gets flushed regularly .... once a year at the end of the season!

No major problems.

Click
. . . . . . . .

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Just make sure that the motor is regularly maintained...i.e. grease, lube, flushing, rinsing. If possible, store the motor in a cool and dry area. Keep the zincs fresh. Monitor the temps very carefully. Salts can build up inside and prevent proper cooling is not flushed well. There are some products out there to aid in flushing salts, but I'm pretty sure that needs to be done in a tank...not on muffs.

I live near the salt water and it's a ***** on everything...including all the tools in my shop. The salt air is enough to cause havoc on metal...let alone putting your motor into the brine. The other option is not to boat...which is not a good option. Just maintain the motor the absolute best you can.

MAS

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a lot of experiance with this, and although salt is corrosive its not near as bad as a salt/elecrical combo. if you use your outboard in saltwater then trailer it home and do some reasonable maintainence, maybe flush every two or three uses and rinse off with fresh water you will get a lot of years out of your motor. If your boat sits at a marina with alot of other boats with batteries on them, your motor will suffer from leparcy in no time at all. A good rule of thumb is to look at the lower unit, if it looks good then it probably looks good under the head. If the LU is all pitted and the paint is trashed you can bet the inside probably looks the same. Besides the frozen bolts the salt usually eats away at the water jacket all around the piston particularly at the head and of coarse the LU. occasional saltwater use will not hurt it at all with the right maintainance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Dissimilar metals (aluminum&stainless steel) in the presence of an electrolyte (salt water) results in corrosion. That is why the screws get impossible to get out. You can flush till you are blue in the face, but you won't get the salt out of the screw threads because there is no water flowing through them. Just dipping doesn't get it.