Evinrude 28 hp lower unit removal help

Old Toad

Cadet
I am having trouble removing the Lower unit on my 1964 28 hp Evinrude. I removed all the lower bolts, and the lower unit dropped down about an inch. After doing some searching in this forum, I read about the shift linkage access window and removing one of the bolts on the shaft in the window. My question is.. Do I completly remove one of the bolts on the brass thing on the shaft in order for the lower unit to drop down? or can I just loosen it? I am assumming it would be the lower bolt. I am worried about replacing the bolt if I take it all the way out. Because of the angle, the only way I can loosen it now is with an open / box end wrench. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Paul

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 28 hp lower unit removal help

You must take it all the way out. The connector is supposed to be positioned so you can get a socket on them. You can loosen both bolts and rotate it to a better position, then retighten the upper one and remove the lower one.

When you put it back together, use a flashlight to peer in there and make sure the notch in the shift rod is exactly aligned with the screw hole before inserting the screw. If not aligned and the screw drags on the edge of the notch, it will wipe the threads off of the screw and it will fall out when you most do not want it to. It can be a long way home.