50 hp evinrude: Voltage regulator or unregulated?

sshawn09

Cadet
All,

Pardon my noob'ness, but I was cleaning up a motor I have and noticed that someone put an aftermarket voltage regulator on this motor, when OEM, they dont have one on this 1974 Evinrude 50hp. So the following questions come about:

1) Do I need to have it?
2) Whats it doing for me?
3) Is it helping out another component like the stator or something?
4) Should I keep it on there, or kill it, or upgrade or test it?

Model number is 511404 and I have no clue whats it from.

Thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 hp evinrude: Voltage regulator or unregulated?

That's a OMC voltage regulator. The number you gave is the casting number on the case. They came as part of a kit to add to unregulated rectifiers when the motors were optionally upgraded to 12 amp stators. See part number 0172651.

To see all that was added to your engine, go to the shop evinrude site http://shop.evinrude.com/ , select the parts diagram in the upper right corner and click it. Then, open the "OB Accessories" box in the drop-down window and select "Electrical". Your kit will be the first item.

sshawn09

Cadet

Wow, thanks for the info. So let me ask... I know the 6amp stator is in there now, would it hurt at all to leave in the regulator?

Thanks!

Ohh, second question... this is a 2 wire regulator, in order to properly wire it, I assume one goes to ground and another to any of the stator/rectifier terminals?

thnx

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I don't know the answer, but I doubt that it would hurt and it would give you more battery choices and be easier on your electronic equipment to have the regulator working.

Maybe one of the electrical experts in the Electrics,... Forum could tell you if that regulator is OK to use with the 6 amp stator: http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

There should be 3 wires, one of which is short and black for a ground. The others are one yellow and one purple.

sshawn09

Cadet

Only 2 wires on this model. The short black (assuming ground) and the yellow.

I posted this question on the electrical as suggested.

Thanks!